Low Rep Count

KCNC Razor vs Ashima Airotor

I currently have KCNC rotors but am curious if anyone has used both of these and what your impressions are. Both are fairly light with the KCNC's being a little lighter at about 75g for a 160 rotor.

At this point, I'm not stressed about the 10g difference but rather am tired of dealing with some bad squealing on my front brakes. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve the matter to include, cleaning the rotors, sanding the pads, bleeding the system, centering the caliper, pads... Still get the squeal out of them. Yet the back works great!

But since I may be going back to my BB7's since I am about fed up with this I was just wondering about rotors as well. Basically looking for a do everything rotor that won't break the bank. I don't want to be replacing them 2-3 times a season mind you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have both...and a few other different rotors..can't tell one from the other.
    They all work.
    Noise can be from the pads themselves....whether they are glazed, contaminated or the wrong material for your needs.
    And I won't even ask what your using to clean your disc

Maromero
    I had the same problem using the Airotors with Marta Mags to save about 20 gr over stock rotor. Solution, Storms 10 gr over Ashimas, 10 gr under regular Magura rotors, but no noises, great stoping power.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    I have both...and a few other different rotors..can't tell one from the other.
    They all work.
    Noise can be from the pads themselves....whether they are glazed, contaminated or the wrong material for your needs.
    And I won't even ask what your using to clean your disc
    Well that is good to know. As far as cleaning my discs, I have simply used alcohol and nothing else.

I am starting to wonder if when the shop trimmed my lines if they got fluid on the caliper some how as I don't recall them squealing prior to the shortening of the hoses. I am now thinking (after reading a couple other threads) that perhaps the pads are simply contaminated. I have never tried the cooking procedure though I am thinking that it might be worth a shot at this point. Then again, I could always just buy new pads and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I,m using the KCNC rotors with Formula Oro K24 brakes and Alligator winter pads. They are very silent and I get great braking power and modulation.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

The Cheater
    Using the Razors with the new XTR Race brakes... very nice feel, no squealing... Doesn't pulse as much as the Quad Pulse XC which is a good thing. The rounded edges is also a very nice high quality detail that they didn't cheap out. Overall, probably the lightest rotor I'd ever go for and it's hella cheap.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg