mtbr member

K24's vs Ultimates

I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my 29er. I mainly ride technical XC and weigh about 220+ geared up. I am currently running Juicy Ultimate with juicy 7 calipers. I would like something that improves braking power & feel and weighs the same or less.

I definitely want to go with a set of Formula brakes, but I am unsure of which ones will best fit me needs with leaving some coin in the wallet. K24's are about the same price & weight as The One's, but would they be overkill?

The K24's seem to get decent reviews, but haven't really read a head-to-head comparison with a definitive winner. I had a bad experience with Hope's in the past, so don't even want to give them a second chance.
    Last edited by 41ants; 03-15-2009 at 07:05 PM.

not really an mtbr member
    I was in the same dilemma, and decided to go with the K24s. They have way more modulation, a "softer" lever feel but still has tons of power behind it. The K24s aren't over kill at all, before the R1s came out they were the top of the line XC brake. Weightwise they're about the same. I like the smoother feel of the K24 vs. the more on-off feel of the Ultimates.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants
    I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my 29er. I mainly ride technical XC and weigh about 220+ geared up. I am currently running Juicy Ultimate with juicy 7 calipers. I would like something that improves braking power & feel and weighs the same or less.

I definitely want to go with a set of Formula brakes, but I am unsure of which ones will best fit me needs with leaving some coin in the wallet. K24's are about the same price & weight as The One's, but would they be overkill?

The K24's seem to get decent reviews, but haven't really read a head-to-head comparison with a definitive winner. I had a bad experience with Hope's in the past, so don't even want to give them a second chance.
    Hmmm, you're finding K24's and One's for about the same price? Usually a big price difference there (ie: that's either a sick deal on the One or way high on the K24's). The One's are definitely more powerful, wouldn't necessarily say they're overkill, but you'd probably want to run 1 size smaller on the rotors than you would with the K24. Either will work fine for you and they both have more power than the Avid's. One factor to consider, if you prefer to 2-finger brake the K24 lever will feel better to you, the One lever is designed for 1 finger. Consider the Mega also, they've been on clearance so they are a very good deal right now.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    One thing I noticed is the K24's take organic pads whereas the One's take sintered, so that's some I need to research and take into consideration

not really an mtbr member
    That's just stock- you can get either for both. And I think the new lever for the K24 is better for one finger braking.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants
    One thing I noticed is the K24's take organic pads whereas the One's take sintered, so that's some I need to research and take into consideration
    The stock pads are the organics as stated above. I have found, on my k18s, the organics feel good on the front, with the sintered on the back. 180/160 set up.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on the k18s versus a Magura louis ? I hear so many good things about the k18s I was planning on getting them for my AM/light FR sled but I heard today formulas are on and off? I do like modulation a good bit. Something the magura brakes tend to have....thoughts ?

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    I heard today formulas are on and off? I do like modulation a good bit.
    I've never heard that about Formula brakes. They're known for their modulation. My K24's are just the opposite of on/off.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    Any thoughts on the k18s versus a Magura louis ? I hear so many good things about the k18s I was planning on getting them for my AM/light FR sled but I heard today formulas are on and off? I do like modulation a good bit. Something the magura brakes tend to have....thoughts ?
    I ran Magura Martas before the K18. The K18 have a different feel, but the power is about the same between the set ups, Marta's 200/160 (mostly) and Formula k18 180/160. My issue was the fading on long DH on the Martas.

I have not run the Louise on anything but a parking lot romp. But, with that exposure, I would have rather had my Martas. And, I would prefer the K18 over the Martas too. The K18 are way easier to bleed and the pads last longer.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I run Formulas on everything... K18s, K24s and some Megas in the mail.

They rock in every way.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

singletrack bound
    OK......K18's or K24's? That is the question. Up grade for a steel 29er SS. Anyone have experience with both? Pros and cons?

Flaccid Member
    I run the Mega on my 29er, for a couple of reasons... more brake pad, to over come the 10% slower rotation at any given speed over a 26'er. I also run them because they come with sintered pads, and because they have enough Meat to slow my 240 pounds wet weight down right now. You can dive deeper into a corner with the Mega's and then manhandle the fork sag and the binders. They do make a noticeable difference over my k 18's with sintered pads and 200mm rotors on my 26.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I have K18s on one bike and K24s on another. The K18s are on a steel 29" SS hardtail. They're great. There is no difference in stopping power.

K24s have feel adjustement and slightly nicer hardware (alloy vs steel bits here and there, couple other things). If you have the $$ get the K24s, otherwise the K18s will do you fine. I suggest 180 rotor in the front and 160 in the back.

Finally, buy spare pads in bulk from Jenson or wherever as they can be hard to find in LBSs.

Support from Formula USA is excellent.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhelmet
    Their support is alright.
    I would say better than alright....but no one beats hayes