mtbr member
    Jun 2007

K24 vs Elixir CR vs XT 775

I have an 08 Motolite with Shimano XT 775 Servowave. I am pretty happy with the performance but I believe that change is good. I am thinking of swapping to Formula K24s or to Avid Elixir CRs. The XTs will find a nice home in my other bike if I do decide to change. The Elixir I can get for a $100 less than the Formulas. Are the Formulas worth it(around $400 for front and rear)? Should I stick with the XTs? Your thoughts please.

I like Monkeys
    I'm sure I sound like an avid basher to some folks. They are good brakes for most folks but me and two of my friends had tried everything to get rid of the gobble without success. 2 rides on my formula's and I won't go back. The control is so much smoother than the grabbiness I had with the avids. I'd pay the extra to get the K24's or even go with the K18's over the avids.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Formula oro no question! You can get a set of K24 brakes for around $300 if you look around and they are awesome.

mtbr member
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...C+BRAKE+SYSTEM

They are at this price with 1250 line lengths. Formula USA can hook you up with new lines and the bleed kit for $112 shipped

Team Blindspot

My 2 cents

Well, I've had both the XT 775's and the K24 on my RFX. And I sold one of them, the Formula's. I did not find them to be much different at all from the 775's, they felt very similar t in both moduation and power.

I much prefer mineral oil when bleeding the system to DOT brake fluid. Maybe I'm just more familiar bleeding the XT's. Combine that with the fact that the K24's are about the hottest brakes out there, I was able to sell them for 85% of what I bought them for 3 months earlier.

Any way you go, you will have some very nice brakes. Good Luck!
    Astigmatic Visionary

TLL
    mtbr member
    I have owned the 775's and replaced them with MEGAs on my RFX. Have also ridden the K24s.

The 775's are nice, as are the K24's; really, you can't go wrong with either. I do like the lever feel on the Formulas a little more, and the modulation on the K24s is more to my liking. But some will prefer the feel of the XT's, which stop just as well in my opinion. The huge advantage XTs have over the K24s is pad availability--If you travel or race Formula pads are not as readily available.

You should be able to find a slightly better deal on the K24s than the one you quoted, when I last checked there was only a $50 difference.

Personally, I'd stick with the XT's.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Team Blindspot

Great observation TLL

Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    I have owned the 775's and replaced them with MEGAs on my RFX. Have also ridden the K24s.

The 775's are nice, as are the K24's; really, you can't go wrong with either. I do like the lever feel on the Formulas a little more, and the modulation on the K24s is more to my liking. But some will prefer the feel of the XT's, which stop just as well in my opinion. The huge advantage XTs have over the K24s is pad availability--If you travel or race Formula pads are not as readily available.

You should be able to find a slightly better deal on the K24s than the one you quoted, when I last checked there was only a $50 difference.

Personally, I'd stick with the XT's.

Forgot to mention that this was also a factor for selling the Formula's. Shimano pads I can get all day just about anywhere.

I will say that there will be some Elixer's in my future, I am very curious to try them.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    get the K24's, but go to ebay and get them brand new for less than $300.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Lack of spares for the Formulas seems like something to consider... I live in the Philippines and getting the Formulas from ebay would mean an additional $50 for shipping which accounts for the $100 difference. The elixirs are readily available here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Formula's are the best.

I bought my first set of K24's last year and then switched all my bikes to Formula!

I now have 2 set of K24's, a set of Bianco's, and a set of Puros. All amazing brakes.

mtbr member
    I have the Avid Elixir CRs and my brother has the Formula Oro K24's... I have noticed that the Elixirs have much more modulation that the K24s... As far as stopping power goes, the two both have more than enough...

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMOUNTAIN18
    I have the Avid Elixir CRs and my brother has the Formula Oro K24's... I have noticed that the Elixirs have much more modulation that the K24s... As far as stopping power goes, the two both have more than enough...
    My thoughts exactly. The Elixers are awesome however the "newness" factor means they are in high demand so the price most people are paying is much too high. CBO has them for $208! Thats nuts. Try your LBS first. This economy means they are willing to make a deal to get some products moving. My LBS saved me over 80 dollars on mine.