mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Just wondering how many ride with the front...

brake lever on the right. If so, how long did it take you to get used to the change (assuming it was a change)? Has it made riding/braking any easier? Is it better for some reason or just different?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I switched for a while and loved it for the extra control using the front brake with the right hand. But at the same time it caused a dislocated/fractured elbow as result going down a wicked downhill and squeezing a little hard. I switched back just because it was what I was used to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    a lot of people that ride front/right do it because they ride moto, and it just makes it more familiar

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Just getting used to it seems like it would be really hard. And what if you are going down a steep rocky hill and you hammer the front brake thinking it is the rear (this would be more likely to happen right after the transition) and you flip over the handle bars and something happens or even death?

mtbr member
    I've ridden motorcycles for 30 years and tried swapping the levers for that reason. Personally I didn't like it. I guess I'm just used to left front and right rear braking on my MTB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drain bamage
    Just getting used to it seems like it would be really hard. And what if you are going down a steep rocky hill and you hammer the front brake thinking it is the rear (this would be more likely to happen right after the transition) and you flip over the handle bars and something happens or even death?
    then dont do it.

flipping levers is purely a rider comfort change. there's no performance value to it.