mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Just shortened my Magura hydraulic lines

...wow, that was easier than I had thought for Martas! I was very surprised that, being my first time ever shortening lines, I did not have any air get into the system! I saw lots of fluid leak out, but aparently none of it was replaced with air. The instructions are sort of confusing (I didnt know the difference between the inset, sleeve nut, and olive) but do-able if you go VERY slowly. The knife I used wasn't all that sharp either...just MAKE SURE YOU PRESS THE CABLE INTO THE CALIPER BODY AS YOU THREAD ON THE SECURING NUT. I think this is why I was successful in not introducing air into the system.

My only complaint is how short I cut the rear brake line....take a look at the picture and see what you think....on the upside I did save 11g!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "What? Do I need a new bike? Well, of course! I still nedd a light duty trail bike, freeride bike, downhill bike, street cruiser, ultralight hardtail, unicycle, commuting bike, time trial bike, superlight roadie, and cyclocross bike! Who said that you can have too many bikes!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy2324
    ...wow, that was easier than I had thought for Martas! I was very surprised that, being my first time ever shortening lines, I did not have any air get into the system! I saw lots of fluid leak out, but aparently none of it was replaced with air. The instructions are sort of confusing (I didnt know the difference between the inset, sleeve nut, and olive) but do-able if you go VERY slowly. The knife I used wasn't all that sharp either...just MAKE SURE YOU PRESS THE CABLE INTO THE CALIPER BODY AS YOU THREAD ON THE SECURING NUT. I think this is why I was successful in not introducing air into the system.

My only complaint is how short I cut the rear brake line....take a look at the picture and see what you think....on the upside I did save 11g!
    The only time that will be an issue is if/when you fall. You won't turn past that point very often.
    Put a spacer on that stem, how do you keep it tight like that?

11g? no way

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy2324
    You forgot to take into the account the weight of the two compression ferrules and two hose barbs. I bet you only saved like 6.5 grams.
    [SIZE=1]Don't believe everything that you think.[/SIZE]

JHK
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

shortening Magura question

Perfect timing, Just put them on and need to shorten my lines. I have read the manual a couple of times and have 2 question....

Do you need to have the housing pointed straight up when you cut it ?? doesn't fluid leak out otherwise ??

Did you need to hammer the barb end in or could you press it ? I don't have a vise to hold it so I am wondering if I need to buy one.

THANKS !

JK

ps... did you have a bleed kit handy just in case :>

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JHK
    Perfect timing, Just put them on and need to shorten my lines. I have read the manual a couple of times and have 2 question....

Do you need to have the housing pointed straight up when you cut it ?? doesn't fluid leak out otherwise ??

Did you need to hammer the barb end in or could you press it ? I don't have a vise to hold it so I am wondering if I need to buy one.

THANKS !

JK

ps... did you have a bleed kit handy just in case :>
    1) Make sure you keep the housing level. It seemed like a bit of fluid leaded out of the lines, but it didn't affect the bleed in the end.

2) I hammered the barb back in using a vice grips and a hammer. It would be difficult to secure the hydraulic line in any other way, so yeah, I would reccomend having the vice as well.

Good luck! Don't cut too short like me!
    "What? Do I need a new bike? Well, of course! I still nedd a light duty trail bike, freeride bike, downhill bike, street cruiser, ultralight hardtail, unicycle, commuting bike, time trial bike, superlight roadie, and cyclocross bike! Who said that you can have too many bikes!"