mtbr member

Just replaced my Juicy5's with BB7's, have a question about rotors.

The Juicy5's came with G2 Cleansweep rotors.

The BB7's came with "Roundagon"s.

My bike shop suggested I keep the G2's on the bike as they are a better rotor.
    They are also essentially brand new.

What do you guys think?

The G2's look better engineered, but I'm no brake expert.

Thanks for your input!

MATPHAT

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Roundagons suck. Use them as party coasters.

mtbr member
    That simple? I figured there would be some additional feedback.
    =(

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    From what I've heard, the roundagons are actually the best stopping disc in existence, due to the increased surface area on the brake pads. I think they are heavier though...

mtbr member
    If you're happy with the stopping power of the G2 Cleansweep rotors, then keep using them. They look great and are relatively light. You can always keep the Roundagons as back-ups.

Enjoy your new upgrades!

J

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by j-rocket
    You can always keep the Roundagons as back-ups.

Enjoy your new upgrades!

J
    +1...

mtbr member
    Thanks all! Decided to keep the CS rotors. The Roundagons will be stashed for building my banger.

sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by j-rocket
    If you're happy with the stopping power of the G2 Cleansweep rotors, then keep using them. They look great and are relatively light. You can always keep the Roundagons as back-ups.

Enjoy your new upgrades!

J
    Since when has going from Juicy 5 to BB7 an "upgrade"
    FWIW the G2 Cleansweep are better rotors, I keep a set of Roundagons as spares.

Cheers
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondhead
    Since when has going from Juicy 5 to BB7 an "upgrade"
    Good question.

It's an upgrade since I've been running my Juicy5's for a season with nothing but problems. Re-bleeding front and back multiple times, having breaks go spongy in cold weather, having the front caliper spring a mystery leak that prompted a warranty replacement because no one could locate the leak in question, and having that notorious "turkey warble" issue that has it's own mega thread here at MTBR.

I ran BB7s on my old Stumpy for 5 years without so much as a single adjustment, and one set of replacement pads. Lets hope the ones I installed last week offer a repeat performance.

sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATPHAT
    Good question.

It's an upgrade since I've been running my Juicy5's for a season with nothing but problems. Re-bleeding front and back multiple times, having breaks go spongy in cold weather, having the front caliper spring a mystery leak that prompted a warranty replacement because no one could locate the leak in question, and having that notorious "turkey warble" issue that has it's own mega thread here at MTBR.

I ran BB7s on my old Stumpy for 5 years without so much as a single adjustment, and one set of replacement pads. Lets hope the ones I installed last week offer a repeat performance.

Bummer man, I'm sorry to hear about your Juicy 5 troubles
    I've always considered the Avid BB series brakes, to be the holy grail of mechanical disc brakes, however, I was sick of the constant adjustments needed, and the inconsistent lever feel even with Avid levers (FR5s I think) ,and heavy duty alligator cables.
    I've been running Juicy 5s for the last year, with none of the issues associated with them, so far. I've noticed better pad life, better modulation, and increased stoping power. The only drawback is the noise when wet.
    Good luck with the BB7s!

Cheers
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondhead
    I've always considered the Avid BB series brakes, to be the holy grail of mechanical disc brakes, however, I was sick of the constant adjustments needed, and the inconsistent lever feel even with Avid levers (FR5s I think) ,and heavy duty alligator cables.
    With a top setup (compression-free cables, good cable run, correct installation...) you get a comparable exactly defined lever feel as with a hydro and at least same power. My BB7 is the living evidence for that!

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trelgne
    With a top setup (compression-free cables, good cable run, correct installation...) you get a comparable exactly defined lever feel as with a hydro and at least same power. My BB7 is the living evidence for that!
    That may be true for the front but the rear is much more difficult to achieve this, especially if the bike has a rear suspension. With hydros you get about the same brake feel on the front as on the rear regardless of how you route the hydraulic line, if you have a rear suspension, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Use the Cleansweeps. Who ever said the Roundagons were better? They're probably cheaper to manufacturer and that way Avid can make some dough when we "upgrade" to Cleansweeps.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight
    From what I've heard, the roundagons are actually the best stopping disc in existence, due to the increased surface area on the brake pads. I think they are heavier though...
    you heard wrong.. very wrong. they might be the worst rotors in existence.

put them on ebay.. or throw them at feral cats, or something..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    you heard wrong.. very wrong. they might be the worst rotors in existence.

what makes them so bad?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New Rotors ?

I just replaced the original rotors for my Avid Juicys with Shimano XT rotors. The question I have is this. Do rotors come in different widths? My Avid rotors are worn out. Do I just need to bleed the brakes now as they both rub like they are lightly engaged for the whole rotation on both wheels.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I thought I read somewhere that the XT rotors are a bit thicker than the Avid rotors. With hydraulic brakes, as the pads wear, the pistons adjust for the wear. When you replace the pads you have to press the pistons back into the caliper or else you will not be able to get the rotor back in. This would apply here since you are putting in a thicker rotor. Eventually, the scraping will go away as the pads wear away anyway.