The Original Suspect

Just how good are SLX M7000 brakes?

Been a bit out of the game for some time and just ordered a bike that has m615 brakes and I know I will replace them. I have had several bikes with m785's and have loved them. That being said, my natural inclination is to immediately upgrade to m8000...but, I've seen some issues with earlier versions of the m8000's. Not really concerned with price or the weight difference, just want the best brake. And please, no suggestions for SRAM brakes...never again. Thanks in advance!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    M615s, why change them. Performance gain going anything less than XTR or more premium brakes like hope is minimal.

Ive had m615, m785, currently have m7000 on my b+ bike. M7000 I can feel a minor modulation difference versus older models but m7000 and m8000 are basically the same thing. Wouldn't notice a difference if they were unmarked. Ridden both now and never realized the m8000s being fitted till I was looking at the bike after a demo ride. Only reason I have m7000s is cause I didnt like the stock low end brakes and m7000 were within a few dollars of m615.

I would ride the bike for a while first them see if you really need to upgrade or not. Not means more money for other things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

The Original Suspect
    I plan to ride it before I replace, but I like the reach adjustment of my 785's and I believe the 7000's have that as well. Thanks!

Turns right to go left
    Here is some feedback based on my personal experiences with the brakes in question:

I had a set of M7000's on my hardtail for six months before changing to M8000. The improvements with the M8000's were much less than I had expected. The M7000's had an excellent balance of value, features and performance. Reach is adjustable btw.

My wife recently got a new bike which is fitted with full M8000 and M615 brakes. Her old bike had M7000 brakes. After the first weekend on the new bike, her comment was "I love this new bike but my old brakes were much better". We have been married long enough for me to know what this comment was code for..... My response was "yes dear" and I spent the next night putting her old brakes on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just go ride a bike with sram brakes and then you will appreciate your M615ís much more lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I plan to ride it before I replace, but I like the reach adjustment of my 785's and I believe the 7000's have that as well. Thanks!
    All brakes have reach adjustment. M785s just had a knob instead of needing an allen key. Pay the difference for a plastic knob being added

And brakes that have good miles on them always seem to work better than ones that are only a few days old. The m445 set I have on my fat bike were as good as my m7000s till I had a few good rides on them. At least you have her old brakes, gotta keep a wife that will ride as happy as possible lol. Your lucky!

The Original Suspect
    I guess I meant to say, on the fly adjustment without the use of a tool.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.cvanwinkle View Post
    Just go ride a bike with sram brakes and then you will appreciate your M615ís much more lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's cold!

But, I have to say that I switched out the DB5's that came OEM, for M7000's and I'm happy so far.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Even the 615's honestly arent bad.

Deore, xt, slx, and xt all share the same hydraulic ratio (levers and calipers are sized the same) so the pull, feel and power is the same across the line. SLX gets the nice adjustment knob (which is important to me too) and ceramic pistons. I have my doubts about how much ceramic pistons actually do anything, but they're in there.

Im happy enough with my slx brakes. XTR brakes are on sale for $69 bucks right now though, so thats a consideration.

Id get at least SLX brakes for the reach adjustment, but $69 for xtr's is good too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Where?

Where are the xtrs $69 at?

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Even the 615's honestly arent bad.

Deore, xt, slx, and xt all share the same hydraulic ratio (levers and calipers are sized the same) so the pull, feel and power is the same across the line. SLX gets the nice adjustment knob (which is important to me too) and ceramic pistons. I have my doubts about how much ceramic pistons actually do anything, but they're in there.

Im happy enough with my slx brakes. XTR brakes are on sale for $69 bucks right now though, so thats a consideration.

Id get at least SLX brakes for the reach adjustment, but $69 for xtr's is good too!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I see old version XTs for that price or the new SLX M7000 for that price. Xtr no less than 170 each.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    ^^^Maybe he meant just the levers? (each)

mtbr member
    They were on Cambria for 69 yesterday. Now $110. Doh. They're older model, but still.