XTR is the shizz-nizz...

Cool-blue Rhythm Just got my Juicy Carbons last night!!! Questions...

Newbie here,

I just got my Avid juicy Carbons last night and ohh *drool* are they sweet!!!!
    Anyway, they came with 203mm rotors. I was comparing them to my 6" rotors and boy do they dwarf them...

So...
    -In your opinion, are 203mm rotors drastic overkill for AM and trail riding (I think so; but they look so sweet!!!)...?
    -I don't even think the 203mm rotor has enough clearance in the rear, I was thinking to swap it for a 185mm (is that overkill also)? 203mm up front/185mm rear. Any advantage to having different sizes front to rear?
    -What is the benefit of big rotors other than heat dissipation (for DHers) and extra stopping power (again for DHers) as opposed to the standard 160mm?
    -Should I bleed the brakes before using them? The instructions say not to unless I break into the lines (shortening them, etc).

Thanks for the help...

neutiquam erro
    Why did you choose the 203s with the Juicys to start with? Did you not have an option for some reason?

Bigger rotors are good for DHers for the reasons you mentioned (heat dissapation), and bigger riders also like them too - bigger rotors for bigger stopping power for bigger bubbas.

Most <180 lb (btw, that's just a weight I'm pulling out of my butt - so take it FWIW) straight-XC riders are fine with 160s front & back, but it's really just a matter of preference. Folks go with as small rotor as sensible to keep the overall weight down. Unless you are a big clyde, 203s are overkill for just bopping around the trails, IMHO.

Remember - new rotors will mean new adaptors, so be sure to get those too if you decide to swap.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I got the brake set on Ebay and they came with 203mm...it was a good price!!!

What does FWIW stand for?

I'm in the 173-180 weight range... I currently have 6" rotors and find them adequate for the style of riding I do which is very conservative...hoping to become a little more daring and extreme with time... To be honest, I find the 203mm sweet looking...you know like bling bling... LOL
    OK, how come nobody has come out with spinners yet... LOL (just kidding) LOL

Anyway, I always found the 6" to be a little small...cheesy looking... I think the 185mm/7" are a much better compremise. I was thinking to swap both rotors out for the 185mm or do the two different sizes 203 FR/185 RR... But I really don't want to look like an idiot with 203mm rotors when there is not even a hill in sight (I live in Florida)...

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    203 is a bit large. I run the 185s and I find them perfect for AM type riding. I am in Florida as well and I know even for a fatass like me the 160s would be fine here, but when I go to the mountains I am glad I have the bigger rotors. I also think that the 185s look good on the bike, they are bigger than the 160s but not ginormous like a 203. Then there is the weight thing.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    FWIW = for what it's worth

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    203 is a bit large. I run the 185s and I find them perfect for AM type riding. I am in Florida as well and I know even for a fatass like me the 160s would be fine here, but when I go to the mountains I am glad I have the bigger rotors. I also think that the 185s look good on the bike, they are bigger than the 160s but not ginormous like a 203. Then there is the weight thing.
    I agree... I think I like the 185mm better...not too small, not too big...
    The 203mm look like those cars with 24" wheels...they would look fine on a 29" wheel...but it dwarfs the 26" wheel... LOL

Thanks for the input!!!