Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Julie Is Under Pressure.

554 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  oohmeshins 
#1 ·
Hey folks.
My friend bought a new Prophet last year. Unfortunately, he got a bad knee injury that put him out of action for almost a year. I've had his bike stored in my shed since then. He only put about 80 kilometers on it before his injury. His brakes (Magura Julies) were never dialed in and were always weak. He wants to start using it again now so I took it out last week to see how was holding up. The rear brake had virtually no pressure at the lever and the front didn't bite so I left it in to a shop to be bled. when I got it back, the front was better but the rear is still really soft and only barely bites when fully pulled. I took it for a spin up some local trails thinking maybe after a day of hard usage it would improve but both brakes lost all power anytime the bike wasn't level, ie going up or downhill. It's like there's not enough oil inside? I've cleaned the rotors to help it bite but obviously that does nothing for the lack of pressure. So, I'm a noob - do Julies often have problems like this? I spoke to a guy and he said he's got a pair of Julies on a Bullit a few years and although they're generally good, they can soften when he's climbing.
Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
I think the brakes need another bleed job. Julie's are good brakes, but are a pain in the neck to bleed- as with all Magura brakesets.

If, after bleeding, the performance does not improve, check for leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.