"El Whatever"

Julie popped out piston and bleeding. Paging MCM's!!!

Hi folks.

So the sticky sindrom returned to my '02 Julie inner piston.

I did the trick of pushing one piston out while retaining the other witheld. Somehow it got better but not that much.

While doing this and to check that both pistons were working equally I noticed that outer piston comes out faster (and further out) but unevenly!!! It goes out wedged!!.

While showing this to my wife, I stupidly popped out part ot the piston and obviously oil came out. I rapidly pushed the piston back in place, but I noticed that the lever did nothing to push the pistons out and the pistons were not retracting back to its original position.

I bled the brake. This for the merit of Magura it's not rocket science but it can get a bit stressing as you gotta be careful. A good tip is to remove the line from the frame and route it in such a way that each and every point in the line from the calpier to the lever be higher than any point before, so your lever is the highest point of the line.

Without replacing oil, it would not consume more than 10-15ml of oil. Maybe less. Magura's instructions are clear and as said, you don't need to be a rocket scienticist to do it. Consider your average car mechanic hardly finished the elementary school and can bleed a brake also.

So far the bleed was trouble free but the rear caliper is now "under observation" without pads mounted, just drying up the oil that was spilled and was not able to be removed with cotton swabs.

My questions are:

- Did I damaged something permanently??
    - Why my rear inner piston does not retract as it should??
    - Why my rear outer piston goes out wedged???
    - Should I just put everything back in place and ride it like it is??

Many thanks to whomever may help. I wouldn't like to bother Jimmy again.
    Check my Site

Bodhisattva
    - Did I damaged something permanently??
    Not likely, but you won't know until you do a trail test

- Why my rear inner piston does not retract as it should??
    Probably just got a little junk in there. When that happens, extend the piston but not fully so that it leaks, and clean it with alcohol with a q tip. Then put a very thin layer of blood on the piston and work it back & forth a few times

- Why my rear outer piston goes out wedged???
    The piston or seal likely kinked. It should work its way out by doing the above.

- Should I just put everything back in place and ride it like it is??
    I would, after doing the above. You have nothing to lose.

Many thanks to whomever may help. I wouldn't like to bother Jimmy again.
    Ahhh, Jimi doesn't mind. Feel free to drop him a line if the above doesn't work.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Not likely, but you won't know until you do a trail test

Probably just got a little junk in there. When that happens, extend the piston but not fully so that it leaks, and clean it with alcohol with a q tip. Then put a very thin layer of blood on the piston and work it back & forth a few times

The piston or seal likely kinked. It should work its way out by doing the above.

I would, after doing the above. You have nothing to lose.

Ahhh, Jimi doesn't mind. Feel free to drop him a line if the above doesn't work.
    Thanks Squeacky! It's really helpful.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"

Update.....

I finally sorted out the sticky pistons and bleed stuff... and my Julies worked great!!!!!!

Great modulation even over muddy stuff and leaves. The front got help from a wider tire (Motoraptor 2.4) and this helped the overall feel of the brakes.

Now they work great over all kind of conditions. I rate them up there with my Avids.

Maybe those are not the best brakes for clydes or aggressive riders but those were not intended to be and Magura make it clear. No scams here. If you want an aggressive brake, look somewhere else. These brakes are intended for overall trail riding.

The brake lever was firm thru all the ride and despite I was reaching the second finger over the levers sometimes, the brakes were really not short of power.

All in all... great brakes for my use (XC-Trail) and style (not so aggro). Highly recommendable for low budget guys who are not clydes or DH-wannabes.

Thanks Magura... I'm cured of upgradeitis for a while (not really, now I'm lusting after some Juicy 5/7's or Louises... Louises would be übercool)

Where do it get my MCM #????

Edit--- I almost forgot to thank both Jimmy at Magura and Squeacky for the set-up tips. Listen to them, they know.
    Check my Site