Gumnut Peddler

Juicy7 Up/Down lever movement

Serviced my bike last night and discovered that my rear brake lever has A LOT of up/down movement. It feels really really loose, especially compared to the front brake lever and the brakes on my daily commuter.

Brakes still work amazingly, but I am worried about the excessive play. I have tried to do some research on this through the forum with little success.

I do not need to adjust lever reach or grab, which is what most of the search results are bringing up.

I have tried to tighten the alen screws behind the lever. 1 adjusts the lever reach, and the other doesn't seem to want to budge, which hopefully means it is tight as it will go.

Hopefully this makes sense. I can go and grab some photos if this helps?

mtbr member
    Is there movement in the pull of the lever? Or do you mean side to side movement of its normal travel track? If its side to side movement, you may have worn out the lever pivot pin or the area around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am assuming that you mean the lever has up and down play when you grasp it and move it vertically. The lever has two plastic bushings above and below it (see #21 in the diagram below). Yours may be worn out or missing. I am not sure where you can buy them. The only ebay auction I found was from the UK, well there is a US auction, but it is for 20 of them. Now if you mean up and down play as in the direction of the handlebar (horizontally), it may be your piston is slightly stuck and you need to replace the seals on the piston (see #11 in the diagram)

avid juicy bushing | eBay
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Gumnut Peddler
    Cheers for the diagram. I think it must be the plastic bushings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mine do this too, I think it's probably fine as long as they still work

Gumnut Peddler
    Installed a small nylon washer and this seems to have solved the up/down lever movement.
    The problem is now I have a heap of forward/back movement before the lever engages.
    Lever engages in the correct spot (where it used to) and seems to work fine, however when I let go of the lever, it falls forwards towards its maximum adjustment area (as far forward as the lever can travel).

Seems that I have fixed one thing, and stuffed another.