mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Juicy7 Decision/Question Time

I am a little over 200lb and ride XC on a Truth. I do not do any big drop-offs, but do scream down long fire roads and single track with rock gardens, berms, creek crossings, etc.(bay area, CA) I must admit to being a slight weight weenie, but this has been changing slowly over the last couple of years (I demo'ed a ML-8 at the Sea Otter a few weeks ago).

I have never owned disc brakes and am hoping for some help.
    I have decided on getting the Juicy7 and I was thinking 185mm in front and 160mm in rear. What is the differnence between the 160mm and 185mm? Just rotor size or are other parts different? The $50 price delta seems steep. Are the rotors exchangable? I know I could save weight with 160mm front and rear, but will I have enough power for XC? Also, I am waiting for the X.O SRAM Triggers, played with them at SO, WOW! Do you think it would be worth waiting for the juicy carbons? Any clue as to how much weight will be saved or if they will have an upgraded design?

One last question, I have been riding King Hubs for years and love them. How critical are the hubs? I was thinking CK with Mavic717 disc. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Wingman

mtbr member

Jenson has them for 144$ 185

I just bought the juicy seven 185 fr 160 rear to replace the bb7 with the same rotor size.
    if you are 200# I would stick with the 185 in the front they have more power due to more leverage and have a better heat absorbtion. Make sure you have a stiff fork. The 185mm has a larger bracket to adjust to the lager rotor. I did not mount the juicys yet but I did bleed them and deburred and lapped the rotors. I will try to do a 100% setup to avoid any Issues. A word of caution if you are 200# don't be too much of a weight weenie I am 185 and I just had to replace stem and bars with something more solid because I twisted them like a peace of rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    I am a little over 200lb and ride XC on a Truth. I do not do any big drop-offs, but do scream down long fire roads and single track with rock gardens, berms, creek crossings, etc.(bay area, CA) I must admit to being a slight weight weenie, but this has been changing slowly over the last couple of years (I demo'ed a ML-8 at the Sea Otter a few weeks ago).

I have never owned disc brakes and am hoping for some help.
    I have decided on getting the Juicy7 and I was thinking 185mm in front and 160mm in rear. What is the differnence between the 160mm and 185mm? Just rotor size or are other parts different? The $50 price delta seems steep. Are the rotors exchangable? I know I could save weight with 160mm front and rear, but will I have enough power for XC? Also, I am waiting for the X.O SRAM Triggers, played with them at SO, WOW! Do you think it would be worth waiting for the juicy carbons? Any clue as to how much weight will be saved or if they will have an upgraded design?

One last question, I have been riding King Hubs for years and love them. How critical are the hubs? I was thinking CK with Mavic717 disc. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Wingman
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Festusjrf,

where do Jenson's list the 185 @ $144 I can only find market value @ $187.98?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have decided on getting the Juicy7 and I was thinking 185mm in front and 160mm in rear. What is the differnence between the 160mm and 185mm? Just rotor size or are other parts different? The $50 price delta seems steep. Are the rotors exchangable? I know I could save weight with 160mm front and rear, but will I have enough power for XC?
    Like Festusjrf there's a ~$10 bracket to mount the calipers that's the only difference besides the rotor. For $50 you can get an adaptor and a 185 rotor AND have a spare 160. That's what I'll be doing.

160 should be enough for XC. When I was bigger (250) I'd do long decents with the 160 mechs and whould get loud howling, and sometimes fading (front only). I don't think 185 is too much for XC, 205 maybe. I don't think you'll need anything more then 160 on the rear.

Also, I am waiting for the X.O SRAM Triggers, played with them at SO, WOW! Do you think it would be worth waiting for the juicy carbons? Any clue as to how much weight will be saved or if they will have an upgraded design?

I'd get the X0 grip shifters if you're a weight weenie or X9 triggers for now, its like $60 for a year of usage. The X0 triggers will be like $120 (or more). The carbons will probably be like $300+ a piece (twice the price of the 7s now).

Hubs? Well you shouldn't have any problems with the kings, but I don't think there's any issues with hubs. Radial lacing MIGHT be a problem with higher tension on the flange.

mtbr member

Hey

I just got my juicy 7's from jenson, and paid $283 for both ( 185 front and 160 rear) set-up and install was a breeze (had to shim the rear a bit, but not bad) and i have had a few short rides on them so far and all is well. power is great and modulation is great. the rear was a little noisy in the wet, and i feel a little studder under hard braking---------but i am going to give it a decent break-in period before i start fiddling with them!

i am about your weight and i came off of avid mech's and they are great,,,,,but i am very happy that i switched!
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr platinum member
    At your weight I would not consider the 717 rims. I would probably look at the DT 4.1D, Velocity Synergy Disc, or Mavic 819's (heavier, but way stronger IMHO).

Keep the King hubs for sure!
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.