mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Juicy vs. Marta SL vs. Mono Mini

I may switch from Avid Mechanical to hydro on my Blur. Overall, which hydro system would best the mechanical system -- both in performance and ease of use (read: minimal maintenance)?

Is there anything I should know about switching to hydro -- any DON'T DO's that is?

Thanks.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Juicy juicy

I just switched from Avid mechs to Avid Juicy's.... one word....AWESOME. I felt the mechs were great disc breaks transitioning from v-brakes prior. Avid's CPS mounting system is the big advantage here. Disc brakes can be finicky when it comes to rotor to caliper alignment, but the CPS system really does make it easy to adjust.

So far everything about the Juicy's have exceeded my expectations. Performance wise, the power and lack of fade after long fast descents really blew me away. The nice snappy lever feel of hydros can't be matched my mechanicals, as the cable length and routing is not so much as issue. Even cutting the hoses shorter was super easy- in my case I didn't even have to re-bleed the brakes after reinserting the hoses. Man, can it get any easier!

If your counting grams, the Juicy's are a bit beefy, but coming from mechanicals, the differenece is negligable.

Juicy's are my recommendation.....performance and ease installation & maintenance.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

inner peace to make peace

Hope Mini Mono's fantastic: modulation and control.

I don't know how heavy the Avid Juicys are, but the Marta SLs are a bit lighter than the England's Hope Mini Mono. Hope Mini Mono works fanastic: strong, quiet, and awesome modulation & control.

I'd get Hope Mini Mono again and again, uless i'm spending $5000+ for the lightest xc bike money can buy then i'd get the Marta SLs, just to be a complete weight weenie
    Last edited by TrailNut; 09-01-2004 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the recommendations so far.
    Last edited by DALI; 09-01-2004 at 04:37 PM.

banned
    I just rebuilt a frame I had dormant, and used some old '02 Minis 185mm front and 160mm rear. Didn't rebleed them, just installed with a quick "looks pretty good" shim session. I've done a bunch of rides on 'em and am really impressed, so much that I just got some Mono M4 discs for one of my FS rigs (which has been using '04 Avid mech discs).

get Mono Mini, you won't believe the modulation and control.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    I don't know how heavy the Avid Juicys are, but the Marta SLs are a bit lighter than the England's Hope Mini Mono. Hope Mini Mono works fanastic: strong, quiet, and awesome modulation & control.

I'd get Hope Mini Mono again and again, uless i'm spending $5000+ for the lightest xc bike money can buy then i'd get the Marta SLs, just to be a complete weight weenie
    I've owned 2 of the 3 brakes listed: Hope Mono Minis and Magura Marta SLs. I've not yet tried the Juicy's, so I can't comment on them. As well as owing the Monos and Marta SLs, I've also owned: Hope C2 Pros, Hope Monos, Formula B4s, Formula B4 SLs, Formula B4 SL+s and Shimano XTR/XT.

I've always like Hope brakes for their beautiful CNC'ing and power, but I was disappointed with the Mono Minis. I found they lacked power (compared to the Formulas, Shimanos, and Maguras, etc.), lacked modulation (had a dead, wooden feel to them) and were loud (squealed like banchees no matter the conditions).

As for the Marta SLs, wow! They have incredible power (best against any of the brakes I've owned) and modulation (only second to the Formulas), considering they are a light-weight brake (~706/g set). Also, they are dead quiet! I just love the feel of the carbon levers. Lastly, they are backed by some of the best customer service in the Biz (Jimi, Lonnie and Jude), so if you do have any issues, these guys will take care of you.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Mike B.
    It's been a tie so far between the Juicy vs. Marta SL from all the people I've talked to.

banned
    Everybody swears by what their experience dictates. In my case I had terrible luck with the J7s even after being warrantied by avid but have had a great experience with the mono minis. Both larry of mountainhigh cyclery and chris at speedgoat use these which says a lot since they can have any brake they want and have been in touch with all of them. So there....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Marta SL's are pretty much the cat's meow.
    Great People at Magura too. - The ONLY downside, and it's minor is : Bleeding is a little bit of a P.I.T.A for the non-experianced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

NOT the Avids

I really like the modulation of the Juicy when working properly but the howl and ivbrations issues are unacceptable. I would wait to see if Avid addresses the issue. I would not recommend the Avids due to howl and vibrations. They also can be a real handful when setting up if you cut the hose. Al

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Vibrations?

I recently been experiencing some rather violent vibrations, which go away after the brakes have been squeezed a couple times. It appears there's something on the rear brake pads as I see a couple strange stripes on the rotor instead of a even scrape like the front? Could this be contamination of the pads?

Regarding the hose cutting, had no problems at all doing this. Just need to follow the instructions closely, works great.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]