mtbr member

Juicy Ultimates Dirty Fluid

Has anyone else had this problem? My Juicy Ultimates where new last August and worked great all fall. About a month ago or so, I bled them and the fluid was super DIRTY. I mean junk floating around in the fluid dirty. Last week I could tell I was losing power in my rear brake so I checked and replaced the pads and bled them again out of curiosity. Again, the fluid was nasty dirty. I flushed the system out completely and bled them with new clean DOT 5.

So what gives? Why so much dirt in the lines? I had a set of Juicy 7's for 2 years prior and never had this problem.

Meh.
    Did you use DOT 5 or DOT 5.1? If you used DOT 5, your brake is probably dead.

I've seen it happen before. I flushed all of it out and it wasn't a problem after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Did you use DOT 5 or DOT 5.1? If you used DOT 5, your brake is probably dead.

I've seen it happen before. I flushed all of it out and it wasn't a problem after.
    I'll have to double check but I think it was DOT 5. It's the same as a friend of mine has been using and he doesn't have the dirty fluid issue.

• So what's the difference between DOT 5 and DOT 5.1?
    • Why the dirty fluid then with the original factory installed fluid?
    • Why is my brake dead, it seems to work ok since the second bleed but I don't want to have to bleed them every 2 months. I never had to do that the my Juicy 7's.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    - DOT 5.1, 4, and 3 are all water soluble. DOT 5 is silicon based and not water soluble, I heard it eats your seals too.
    - Y your fluid has crud floating in it beats me
    - Y is your brake dead - maybe b/c u used DOT 5, i'm not sure. "dead" isn't a very good description of what's going on... spongy lever, stuck lever, leaky whatever are all more specific

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    - DOT 5.1, 4, and 3 are all water soluble. DOT 5 is silicon based and not water soluble, I heard it eats your seals too.
    - Y your fluid has crud floating in it beats me
    - Y is your brake dead - maybe b/c u used DOT 5, i'm not sure. "dead" isn't a very good description of what's going on... spongy lever, stuck lever, leaky whatever are all more specific
    Thanks for the extra info. I can't say I have spongy or stuck leaver or even leaky brakes. The problem is it gets full of dirt some how and then I need to bleed again. Once bled they're great for about 2 months, or so has been my experience since the last bleed.

Thanks again.

Live Free or Ride!
    I run Ultimates and have no problems. Fluid is slightly darker for about a split second right around the caliper when bleeding then turns to golden yellow. Never any dirt.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Brakes are an enclosed system, nothing can get in, and the brakes still work properly, period. The off color and dark matter in the brake fluid is from a seal or o-ring wearing. Once it wears to much, it needs to be replaced.

mtbr member
    That's what I thought too. An enclosed system means dirt shouldn't be getting in my brake fluid. So, the degradation of an o ring or seal makes sense.

On another note about the differences between DOT 5 and DOT 5.1, from what I've read, DOT 5 is ALWAYS a bluish purple color. The fluid I put in is definitely a gold color. I'm living in Spain now and I've also read that finding true DOT 5 in Europe is very difficult so the labeling on my bottle of brake fluid could be a case of the Europeans not correctly using the names for American Standards. The bottle of fluid also says is complies to UNE 26-106-88, SAE J 1703, ISO 4925 and INTA 157113 D. I'm pretty sure what I've got in my hands is actually a DOT 5.1 and not DOT 5 because of the color. Also, it cleaned up easily with water as a water soluble fluid should.

Thanks for the advice. I'd appreciate any more insight anyone can provide. Thanks!