mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Juicy Ultimate VS Juicy 7

Hi, I was considering getting new hydraulic brakes and was wondering.

Is there a performance difference or only a weight saving? If there is a performance difference is it a small difference or large?

Thanks
    David

Freshly Fujified

Primarily weight savings

From the Avid website:

"It's not called Ultimate because it's just okay. A few grams here, a few grams there...not a huge change in itself. But when you shave off almost 50 grams and you maintain the best performance and the most advanced features on the market now you're talking about a big difference. A difference that helps you ride faster and with more control. It's a hands-down essential for the discriminating XC brake-o-phile."

If they didn't focus so much on the weight savings, I'd say there's a performance issue too. Also, they don't say anything about how much more advanced the Ultimates are. It states that they still "maintain the best performance and the most advanced features on the market" in addition to the weight savings. That tells me (and I could be wrong) that you get the same features of their other brakes (i.e the J-7) and lose the weight.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    and you "gain" a 140mm rear rotor, which might change how the brake performs for you.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    With the Seven as your baseline, I think this is what you gain with the more expensive Juicys-

Juicy Carbon - carbon levers

Juicy Ultimate - carbon levers and I THINK titanium bolts, plus a small rear rotor.

They all have the same function, but as the Inbred pointed out, you may not want a tiny rear rotor.

My 2 cents: Buy the Sevens, spend $30 on Ti bolts which will save you maybe 30g for the whole mess. That will probably make your brakes lighter than the Carbons.

You would have to ask the weight weenies, though, I am just guessing about the relative weight savings.

JMH

Double-metric mtb man
    The LBS's main wrench (who really knows his stuff, even if he is a DH junky ) noted that the ultimates are more of a race brake and doesn't recommend them as a trail or AM brake. They may work as such for a lighter rider, but if you're larger and doing more brake intensive things, be wary of them.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Got A Lust for Life...
    Hmm...there is a pic of Rennie running them on his DH bike. Now why would he do that if what that wrench says is true?
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    With the Seven as your baseline, I think this is what you gain with the more expensive Juicys-

Juicy Carbon - carbon levers

Juicy Ultimate - carbon levers and I THINK titanium bolts, plus a small rear rotor.

They all have the same function, but as the Inbred pointed out, you may not want a tiny rear rotor.

My 2 cents: Buy the Sevens, spend $30 on Ti bolts which will save you maybe 30g for the whole mess. That will probably make your brakes lighter than the Carbons.

You would have to ask the weight weenies, though, I am just guessing about the relative weight savings.

JMH

You've got it slightly mixed up there.....

Carbon (over 7) - Carbon lever and ti hardware.

Ultimate (over Carbon) - completely redesigned caliper and lever (with ti hardware).

bump and grind
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Hmm...there is a pic of Rennie running them on his DH bike. Now why would he do that if what that wrench says is true?
    Well, simply because, unlike us mere mortals, Rennie is a sponsored racer, who gets bike things (like brakes) for free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Poser
    Hi, I was considering getting new hydraulic brakes and was wondering.

Is there a performance difference or only a weight saving? If there is a performance difference is it a small difference or large?

Thanks
    David
    The Ultimates are slightly lighter, the lever body is magnesium and the carbon lever blade has been hollowed out more than the Juicy carbon. The alloy adjustment dial has been replaced with an allen key fitting and the caliper is a one piece unit. The 140mm rotor is only an option. Organic pads make them feel more progressive but maybe not as powerful as the Juicy's. In saying that, they would be ok for any general trail riding. Oh, and they cost more.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    PT, Kuklinski -

Thanks for the clarification! It's good to learn that the Ultimate isn't just a tarted up Carbon.

JMH

Got A Lust for Life...

Cost wasn't the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by cobym2
    Well, simply because, unlike us mere mortals, Rennie is a sponsored racer, who gets bike things (like brakes) for free.
    He said that they were not durable, strong enough. Cost was never mentioned.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Juicy Carbon specifications create questions

Ti Bolts and Carbon Reservior make a Juicy 7 Carbon ready for downhill and freeride according to sram chart. Juicy 7 cross country and all mountain only.

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/av...discbrakes.pdf

Could this be true?

Ti bolts and carbon levers only save 9 grams? Juicy 7 420grams, Juicy 7 Carbon 411 grams

What's up?

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm just going by what the wrench said... Granted, he may have been referring to them in terms of *my* possibly considering them... I'm a Clyde and am a lot harder on parts because of my size. A racing XC brake probably won't be enough for me and the river valley I ride. I'd likely not have enough power and burn them out in no time.

Not saying that the Ultimates are not a good brake....but they are intended for a little different purpose than how I'd use them.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ultimates according to chart are only for XC

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/av...discbrakes.pdf

So SRAM and your mechanic are in Agreement. The Juicy 3's are other Juicy brake that is only for XC.

Thanks for the information.