mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Juicy Three Question

How much do you think my pair of juicy 3 disc brakes weigh. Thats it. thanks

Meh.
    A 30 second google search shows 416g for a single brake.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    A 30 second google search shows 416g for a single brake.
    That just begs the question... "What is Google?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    That just begs the question... "What is Google?"
    Have you tried to Google that?
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

mtbr member
    If you're looking to purchase new brakes, I wouldn't look at the Juicy 3's. They came stock on a bike I had and I hated them from day one. In fact, they almost turned me away from disc brakes all together. They're heavy as hell and basically unadjustable. If you're looking to save money, I would go with the BB7's or even the BB5's. I upgraded to the Juicy 7's and take it from me, it's worth the extra coin...
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Meh.
    I think he already has a pair... probably came on a bike. I wouldn't recommend them either.

mtbr member
    I have them on my Trance 2 and have no complaint whatsoever - only problem I've had was some rubbing on the rear under power, but I think that's more of a rigidity issue in the rear triangle. Making sure the rear QR is really tight took care of that problem.
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

I AM I AM
    I got to sample a set that came on my STP, well briefly before putting my shimano XT's on. They felt powerful even though they weren't broken in, levers were too burly for me though & XT's most definitely win out on modulation - but once again I'm comparing the familiar to something new, depends what you get used to.

My set weighed in at 901g
    Here is the breakdown
    F 322g, R 340g (that's levers, hose & calipers, keep in mind the rear hose would be shorter than standard since it's on an STP which is a smaller framed bike)
    Rotors 105g each
    Bolts 30g the lot

My Shimano XT's (765 - '07 model) weighed in at 925g, rotors bolts and all, rear hose being longer than that of the J3's.

I reckon the Juicy 3's would beat the other hydro brake specced on bikes at a similar price poing (the Hayes Sole) by far and I wouldn't say they were too heavy at all, especially if you're on a budget and not much of a weight weenie. My set must have had a good bleed from factory as they felt really solid & powerful at the lever, or perhaps my Shimanos are in need of a better bleed!