mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New question here. Juicy three again...

Hi guys.
    I have (in my opinion) kind of a specific problem. I bled the brakes, but what happened was: the lever on the front brake felt right when pumping... But after squeezing it and holding it for a few seconds, the lever resistance faded and the lever went as far as to the bars with almost no resistance... this was sometimes accompained by a little bit of brake fluid coming out of the breathing hole on the reservoir.. After releasing the lever and pumping it, it felt right again.

I thought that it had to be the fluid passing the master cylinder seal in the reservoir after constant pressure applied...
    I had no choice but to look inside the master cylinder if everything was right... seemed so, apart from a spacer that was holding the cylinder inside and being held in position by a "stop ring".. it was bent outwards (I guess it migh habe been from a crash), so I straightened it with a hammer and reassembled the brake. this had set the master cylinder a little bit more inward, b/c the bent spacer allowed the cylinder and the "rod" that's pushing it to come out more.

From what I expected, the lever travel shortened, the lever feel became a little harder, but I'm still experiencing the effect of the lever coming to the bars after squeezing it for a longer time.. as if the fluid would still pass the seal of the master cylinder into the reservoir... (but now it's not "as" bad)...

What would you recommend to do? Should I try to change the seals even if they seemed undamaged? (the brakes are almost new, but I did not get them from an official dealer)

TNC
    noMAD man
    Just from reading your description, do you think the fluid was coming from the issue that you feel you corrected? I didn't see where you rebled the system after correcting the possible problem. Personally I think bleeding Avids can be difficult unless you use a good bit of bleeding experience and get creative with the Avid instructions. I've seen three different instruction materials in the form of text and vids directly from Avid, and I don't see why. It seems even they are having difficulty in settling on a proper bleed method. After not having any success with an Elixir unit I have while following all three methods, I tried to understand where the weakness in the method might be, and after a couple of experiments I've come upon what seems like a bulletproof process. Frankly I don't think anything is wrong with the Avid system in general, but their bleed process is a freakin' song-and-dance. All that said, I think the Elixir model is about the best 2-piston design I've even ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Of course I bled the system afterwards.. It should contain no air at the moment, but as i said, pumping of the lever feels great, but if i keep holding it for a few seconds it starts loosing pressure and the lever goes all the way to the bars.

What I fixed does not correct the issue, it just shortened the lever travel (which got longer after the brakes were knew due to the bent spacer).

I just guess the main cup seal is damaged and I'll try to replace it....