Thread: Juicy three

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Juicy three

What is the situation with thoses, are they so bad or they'll get the job done? Lots of bads imputs on the Reviews thread. If they need improvement, would new pads make them better and/or new rotors?

mtbr member
    They are not so bad, the same basic brake as the other Juicys without any bells or whistles. Typical on/off feel but powerful enough. I use G2 rotors and as with all brakes setup is key.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

Meh.
    They are not the same basic brake as the other Juicy brakes. The master cylinder is different, and the caliper is a cheaper casting.

I would pass.

mtbr member
    Check this older thread for more. Other than the split clamp and fancy silver color the master cylinder is pretty much the same as the 5. They are cheaper and slightly heavier but for a budget brake they are fine.

Avid Juicy 3 ???

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I noticed the rear pads leaves a nice centered mark on the 160mm disc but on the front, it is offset and marks the lower portion on the 185mm disc, a bit on the spokes. I put thin shims from my old shelved V brakes but it is not enough, need a bit more to be perfect. Did someone have the same misaligment? Thanks.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    Check this older thread for more. Other than the split clamp and fancy silver color the master cylinder is pretty much the same as the 5. They are cheaper and slightly heavier but for a budget brake they are fine.

Avid Juicy 3 ???
    Look at the caliper. They are completely different castings. The caliper is a different shape and is not as stiff. The 3 has an inline fitting, the 5 uses a banjo. The lever doesn't have the break away feature on the 3. They are different brakes.

As far as the appearance of the lever goes, it is very similar to the lever of the old Juicy 5. The new ones have less material. But the internals are not the same.

Bled properly, the Juicy 3 doesn't have as nice of a feel to it and are not as consistent.

mtbr member
    Are you using a 185 mm rotor and adapter? I made the mistake of at first using a Hayes V7 rotor with an Avid adapter and it didn't fit. Unfortunately we have to deal with different manufacturers using slightly different sizes (180,185,7") so the adapter and rotor need to be an exact match. Sounds like you might be using a Hayes or other adapter for a 7" or 180mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It came stock on my 2008 Cannondale Prophet, so if there is a mistake, it's from factory. I have put a 1 mm shim and it is better. Just need maybe .5 mm more....And yes, 185 in the front and it is written on the back of the spacer "185 mm post"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have these on my 08 Cannondale F3 and they are the worst part of the bike. They howl and scream as if a baboon was tied to the spokes. Nearby children burst into frightened tears and dogs flee in terror when I use my back brake. If this wasn't bad enough the modulation is all over the place. Will be replacing with some Formula K18's soon.