mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Juicy Sevens vs. Shimano XT M756

I have been having a lot of issues with my Hayes HFX 9's and am pretty close to ditching them. I have been looking at the 06 and 07 Juicy 7's as well as the Shimano XT M756 4 piston brake.

Which one would you choose?

Also, I have heard that you need to have shimano hubs to mount the shimano rotors. Is this true?

Thanks

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joltz
    I have been having a lot of issues with my Hayes HFX 9's and am pretty close to ditching them. I have been looking at the 06 and 07 Juicy 7's as well as the Shimano XT M756 4 piston brake.

Which one would you choose?

Also, I have heard that you need to have shimano hubs to mount the shimano rotors. Is this true?

Thanks
    xt
    no, you just need to know if you have 6 bolt or centerlock and there is an adapter for centerlock to 6bolt

Meh.
    What type of riding do you intend on doing? The 4 pots are terrific brakes, but may be overkill. They're a bit on the weighty side, direct IS mount will take more work at the initial setup (facing tabs, using spacers to center, etc), and Shimano had some minor tolerance issues so that the pistons would stick just a little bit. They would not always run completely drag free.

All that said, the XTs are still terrific brakes.

I have the J7s, and they've been terrific to me.

Have you considered the newer 2 piston XTs at all?

mtbr member
    The Shimano 4 pots are M755 caliper and are IMHO are the best brakes ever made. I tried a set of Juicy 7's last year at Whistler and was apalled at the lack of stopping power versus my 4 pot XTs. It was so bad I scorched the rotors.
    The new XTs are the M765 and are pretty good as that they use a one piece forged caliper
    which is less likely to flex.
    In any case I'd go Shimano which are also easier to bleed by the way.
    Get over it!

Meh.
    The 4 pots are terrific. However, I think that the 2 pots being better than the Juicys is a load of bull.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I like Juicies, when they work but seem like half the people i see with them own turkey gobblers or plinkers. If you go juicy go '07 or even better go Ultimate.

XT 4 pott are one of my favorite brakes. Great modulation and power.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I solved my problem and went with the 07 Juicy 7's. I like the new color..its more of a carbon gray now. Hopefully the first ride will be tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i just sold 20007 juicy´s and bought some used XT 755 with braided hose....and i am using the avid cleansweep g2 rotors - 185 front / 160 rear. they´re overkill