mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Juicy Sevens or Juicy Five?

I'm trying to build up a FR bike on a budget. This is going to go on a Bullit.. I have Shimano XT disc brakes on my other bike and I love them.. but they're a bit expensive.

I can get the brakes for:

Juicy 5: $120 (complete kit)
    Juicy 7: $220 (complete kit)

What do you guys recommend?

Golden Bears United
    While you're at it, can you also compare the Shimano XT to these. I belive Shimano can be had for around $260 complete:

Juicy 5: $120 (complete kit)
    Juicy 7: $220 (complete kit)
    Shimano XT: $260 (complete)

mtbr member
    Def not the 5's. They suck
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Full XT cockpit
    Thompson X4 Elite Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Handlebars / Seatpost

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    I'd go with the 7s for all around general great performance

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    is the five not just a seven with no lever adjust? i've got both and notice no discernable difference other than the sevens look a little more bling

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by ants
    is the five not just a seven with no lever adjust? i've got both and notice no discernable difference other than the sevens look a little more bling
    I think they're basically the same brake as far as design and performance are concerned. The 5's have lever reach adjustment...just not as convenient. It's the pad engagement doo-dad they lack compared to 7's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If I was on a budget, I'd have a hard time justifying the cost/performance ratio of the Juicy 7's compared to the 5's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ants
    TNC
    noMAD man

"I think they're basically the same brake as far as design and performance are concerned. The 5's have lever reach adjustment...just not as convenient. It's the pad engagement doo-dad they lack compared to 7's. "
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Full XT cockpit
    Thompson X4 Elite Stem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I think they're basically the same brake as far as design and performance are concerned. The 5's have lever reach adjustment...just not as convenient. It's the pad engagement doo-dad they lack compared to 7's.

This is the biggest problem with them
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Full XT cockpit
    Thompson X4 Elite Stem

Token Hillbilly
    I have the 7's and have been very happy with them.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntmaster
    Def not the 5's. They suck
    Wow, very insightful

I recently was faced with new brakes on a budget. I prefer the shimano brakes and have been running them for the last few years. But as you noticed there is not a cheap way to get a kit together. Even brand new take-offs are more than the avid brakes and you still might need to replace housings if too short.

At any rate, it boiled down to J7 vs. J5 for me as well. I ran J7 back when they first came out for a season and wasn't very impressed with the engagement knob. Everything I found indicated that the J5 was the same internals as a J7 minus the complexity. To me going J5 was a win-win situation, cheaper and didn't have features that I didn't want. Also I was able to find front, rear, and rotors/adapters to my preference for under $150. I was able to bolt them up and get out on the trails quick.

Regarding performance, I can detect no difference in performance. At the lever they feel the same as a J7. Power is no different. True to avid form they do make noise when wet, but they dry quick and are far better than the roundagon or original rotors. Mine are G2. At any rate, most will confirm that the J5 is about the best bang for the buck in brakes. If they say something cheeky like, "they suck", odds are they haven't spent any time on a properly setup and bedded-in pair of them.

The reviews on MTBR are mostly favorable. Of the naysayers it looks like over half of them never got the brakes setup correctly.
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-...5_1507crx.aspx

MTB198 review
    http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog/r...-brake-review/
    Not all roses either, but he does agree that bang for the buck is there.

I haven't run less than 185mm rotors in years, so I can't comment on power with 6in rotor. With 185mm they are perfectly capable of keeping my speed in check or doing nose stands at the trail head.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have both 5's and 7's in my bikes and really can't tell the difference in performance. I upgraded the OEM Shimanos on my Sanction with the 5's and the 7's came stock on my Trek. And to this day I've yet to touch the pad adjust knob on the 7's... Unless you're an adjustment freak I'd say go 5's, you can get both for around $120 pre-bleed and everything, great deal IMO.

mtbr member
    I have been running 5s for almost a year now without any problems. Given the prices, you are on a budget, and the economy, I would go with the 5s.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    j5 ftw i love mine and flog them daily. just get them nice and set up with no rub and bedded in properelly and you will be super happy

mtbr member
    Are the 5's much better than the 3's. Ive got the 3's with 8in rotors and think they suck.

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    Are the 5's much better than the 3's. Ive got the 3's with 8in rotors and think they suck.
    Yes, the J5 is superior to the J3. J5 is basically the same design as J7 minus the lever/MC adaptations for engagement knob. J3 is a lower level brake and not hardly any cheaper than the J5.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.