Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Juicy rotors, which one is shipping?

Looking Avid's web site, they show a wave/peak shaped rotor (kind of ugly), whereas I've seen a more notched style in various pictures and online stores.

Anyone know which one is shipping, or does the style change depending on the size of the rotor?

FWIW, I picked up a pair of 160's a couple of weeks ago and it is the "notched" looking style; they do not look like the rotors on the Avid site.

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    I'm curious to see what shape the larger rotor sizes will be. It's possible the delay is down to the whole patent bollocks. Perhaps they haven't decided/resolved which rotor design to manufacture?

I'm really wildly speculating now, but I think the 160 Juicies that we've managed to get a hold of are probably what Avid had manufactured before the patent issue blew up, and needed to get rid of to protect their investment.

I'm probably going to get myself a larger rotor for the front, but if it turns out they're using the newer design, I might go for one of the larger round mech rotors and put an old mech rotor on the back. I'd rather not have a notched 160mm on the back and this new design on the front.

As an aside, having ridden with the wavy rotors for a couple of months now, I'm not really convinced they really do very much functionally. However, they do look undeniably sexy if that's your thing

banned
    Dude, Didnt you have any issues with the wavy rotors, like vibration when braking hard and noise, all in all bad quality brake feel? thanks

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    I get pretty severe squealing and a juddery feel accompanied by a lack of power when the brakes are cold, but this all goes away when they heat up a bit. It's easy to blame this on the rotors, but it could be the pad material.

It only takes a small amount of braking to sort this out, so it doesn't bother me very much. Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting to the bottom of it. I plan on trying the pads from my avid mechanical at some point to see if this makes any difference, but in order to do so i need to remove some pad material to make room for the separator spring.