Thread: A Juicy Problem

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

A Juicy Problem

I am hoping one of you masters can help me trouble shoot a little. Let me go back and tell you the saga. The Juicy 7ís are on a 05 stumpjumper expert, from day one they have given me problems. It is mostly the front that continues to vex me. At first it was just the squeal that drove me nuts. I wrote to Avid and they sent me some cleansweep rotors. I put on some new pads, broke them in and most of the squeal was gone at least when it was dry. A month or so ago I sent my Talus fork into push for an upgrade, as it needed service anyway. As long as I had to remove the calipers and the pads were mostly gone anyway I thought I would put on some Galfer pads as they did wonders on my cx bike that has bb7ís. So I put on the pads (had to grind down the side of the tang a little on the inside pad so it did not hit the mounting bolt), install a brand new cleansweep rotor I still had on the wheel, use my patented feeler gage method of centering the pads (.01 and .008 on either side between the rotor and the pads) spin the wheel, no rub, smooth braking. Yesterday I went out for a few hours and started to get an intermittent squeal rub. Got home and they were rubbing on one side. So, I center them this morning and test it, no rub in the stand, rub while riding. I check for wheel play, nope. I do have to have the skewer kind of tight. I am wondering if my Specialized Stout hubs might be toast and are not allowing the rotor to stay centered? Or perhaps the brakes need bleeding? They seem firm and smooth. Should I just take it all apart, sand the pads, reassemble and try again? Itís driving me nuts. Any help appreciated

ride hard take risks
    Since it has been awhile start by replacing the fluid, deglaze the pads & start over. Possibly the pistons need cleaning since you installed new pads.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot