mtbr member

Juicy pad retainer making jingling bell like sound.

Very faint, but annoying. On the front.

Is this common?

Is it messed up?

Is it gonna fall out?

Tape over it to stop it jingling?

Should I ignore it?
    Nobody cares...........

You mean the spring itself is making the noise, you sure? Is the spring tweaked? All other aspects of your setup are good?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    You mean the spring itself is making the noise, you sure? Is the spring tweaked? All other aspects of your setup are good?

Everything else is good. No other noises unless very muddy and wet.

I am not talking about the h-spring between the pads, I am talking about the little silver piece on the top, outside of the caliper.

I can put the bike in the stand than hit the bottom of the tire over and over and produce the noise. If I gently put a finger on the silver retainer the noise goes away. This just started three days/rides ago.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    For anyone else that may someday encounter this.

Remove pads, remove pad binder, squeeze binder so that the curved edges facing inward are moved closer together. This way they grip the tits on the top of the pads better.

Reassemble everything and viola! Problem fixed.

I now have noise free Juicy's.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank God I found your post!

A few days ago I finished building a hardtail with a pair of brand new Avid Juicy 7 2007 with 160mm rotors both front and rear. After a few km on the initial first ride the front started making this "bell ringing" sound and in the beginning I couldn't understand if it was from my bike or my son's riding next to me. Then I couldn't locate it if it was a brake sound or a chain/crankset noise. Finally I located it on the front Juicy. The rear is dead quiet (at least up to now). The sound was coming with no brake applied at all. On gently applied braking in order to move the pads the sound was completelly gone.
    Yesterday on the second ride the sound was maybe a tad louder and it was coming again with no brake applied at all. When it came I had to slightly press the front brake and then it dissapeared. When passing near people I had to gently apply braking to stop the annoying sound.

I thought it had something to do with the pads.

I will check it out as soon as I will return home.

Thank you!

(By the way, why the rear is very powerfull but the front does't seem to have the same braking power; Reach and pad contact adjustment is exactly the same on both....)

mtbr member
    I used a little bit of electrical tape on the top and it worked like a charm.

FWIW, out of 6 juicy calipers over the years I have only had the issue on 1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I checked it yestarday and it is not this metal part. I tried with some tape on it and still annoying. I am pretty sure it's one pad barely touching the rotor on brake rest. On slight brake apply it dissapears.

I visually checked both front and rear pads The outer rear pad has a big gap from the rotor while the inside one just clears it. On the front the same is with the outer but the inside one looks like it's touching with one corner the rotor.

I am pretty sure this is the case as with the bike stopped and slightly moving forward-backward I can hear this sound on a different frequency.

On initial setup I followed caliper calibration with the caliper bolts loose.

I am thinking moving out the pads, sandpaper them with a fine sandpaper and change position.

Any other suggestions;

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mipi
    I checked it yestarday and it is not this metal part. I tried with some tape on it and still annoying. I am pretty sure it's one pad barely touching the rotor on brake rest. On slight brake apply it dissapears.

I visually checked both front and rear pads The outer rear pad has a big gap from the rotor while the inside one just clears it. On the front the same is with the outer but the inside one looks like it's touching with one corner the rotor.

I am pretty sure this is the case as with the bike stopped and slightly moving forward-backward I can hear this sound on a different frequency.

On initial setup I followed caliper calibration with the caliper bolts loose.

I am thinking moving out the pads, sandpaper them with a fine sandpaper and change position.

Any other suggestions;
    You could have a slightly warped rotor. I've had that happen before, the rotor made a ping sound every time the warped part went around and made slight contact with the pad. See if the spacing between the rotor and the pads is the same all the way around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you.
    Visually the rotor is perfect and it's brand new. If it has a very subtle wrap I don't know and can't check it.
    The annouing noise is not always present. Sometimes it comes, and sometimes is off. Like it has to do with pad contact, if it is close or not to the rotor.
    Maybe it will go after some more rides as the bike is new and I have only run around 30-35 km.

Strange thing that the rear from the begining had amazing braking power while the front needs more grip on the lever. I have not yet fully brake both as I am on run-in period.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Dragging pad making the noise. The front brake may not have been bled properly resulting in less power on front and/or it needs to wear the pads in to the rotor.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank's, I'll check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Dragging pad making the noise. The front brake may not have been bled properly resulting in less power on front and/or it needs to wear the pads in to the rotor.
    You were right.
    Dragging pad was the issue.
    I shoulld have read better the manual. On initial mount I just grabbed the lever once and tighted the CPS bolts, but the pistons/pads were not aligned properly with the rotor. That's why on free wheel rotating the pads dragged the rotor slightly and the wheel stopped after 2-3 turns. I thought that this was normal pad touch, but the manual points out that if you have slight drag you have to loose CPS bolts completelly, apply pressure on brake lever a few times and tight again. You have to do this until there is no pad drag at all. Then just tight CPS bolts to the specified torque.
    I had to do it only once yesterday and the annoying noise has gone completelly. No drag at all on freewheeling and full braking power.
    Before fixing on the beggining of every ride the brake didn't make any sound. After a while it started. As I see it now the touching point was overheated and started screaming.

Now I have a pair of dead-silent, powerfull Juicy sevens.