Poser

Juicy leaking at compression nut

So I, somewhat against my better judgment, decided to shorten my Juicy 7 rear brake line without having any spare hose barbs or compression olives around.

I did the deed, got the compression nut as tight as the front brake (which is problem free), and I'm having leaking. I dare not tighten it anymore for fear of breaking the compression nut.

I think my problem is that I deformed the hose a littlewhere it would go underneath the compression olive while trying to get the hose barb in.

Are the compression olives reusable once deformed? Can I try this operation once more rather than wait all week to get new parts?

Quote Originally Posted by direktor
    So I, somewhat against my better judgment, decided to shorten my Juicy 7 rear brake line without having any spare hose barbs or compression olives around.

I did the deed, got the compression nut as tight as the front brake (which is problem free), and I'm having leaking. I dare not tighten it anymore for fear of breaking the compression nut.

I think my problem is that I deformed the hose a littlewhere it would go underneath the compression olive while trying to get the hose barb in.

Are the compression olives reusable once deformed? Can I try this operation once more rather than wait all week to get new parts?
    Try backing out the compression nut a couple of turns, give the brake hose a wiggle, and then tighten it back down again. It might not have seated properly. I had basically the same problem, and that worked for me.

The olives are not reusable.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

No problems

I found the whole cable cutting procedure scary-easy, but I did install new hose barbs and compression olive and nuts that came with the bleed kit. I'm no expert, but did you make sure to cut the end of the hose as clean as possible and seat the hose barb "all" the way against the lip?

As noted w/prev post, I can see how a warped hose barb/olive will cause problems, as well as over tightening.
    Last edited by HTail; 09-12-2004 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Poser
    I took it apart again after posting last night (I couldn't make it any worse, right), and found my problem.

I had not insured that the olive was fully slid to the end of the hose, fully covering the end of the hose barb. It was backed off so it had compressed around only the hose and not the barb end/hose combo.

I managed to take it all apart and get the barb and olive free to try again, but apparently the olive was not going to seal now (as I expected).

Now I'm screwed until I get small parts this week. If I ever get my hands on the cheapskate at Avid who decided we couldn't have extras of those pieces, I'll wring their neck. I'm serious. Almost $400 for brakes, and now I can't ride.

P.S. The first time I did this operation on the front brake, it went fine.

mtbr member

Listen!

I took it apart again after posting last night (I couldn't make it any worse, right), and found my problem.

I had not insured that the olive was fully slid to the end of the hose, fully covering the end of the hose barb. It was backed off so it had compressed around only the hose and not the barb end/hose combo.

I managed to take it all apart and get the barb and olive free to try again, but apparently the olive was not going to seal now (as I expected).

Now I'm screwed until I get small parts this week. If I ever get my hands on the cheapskate at Avid who decided we couldn't have extras of those pieces, I'll wring their neck. I'm serious. Almost $400 for brakes, and now I can't ride.

P.S. The first time I did this operation on the front brake, it went fine.
    Yeah, at a minimum the "Bleed Kit" should have included some spare fittings!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Yeah, at a minimum the "Bleed Kit" should have included some spare fittings!
    It does. Or it's supposed to anyway. 2 of each. So you should be able to shorten both your front and rear hoses.

Poser
    No, it should have spares so if you screw up once, you're not boned as I am now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No, it should have spares so if you screw up once, you're not boned as I am now.
    I was in the same boat as you... actually no, my situation was worse: My compression nut broke off inside my lever body. Try getting one of those with them not being on Avid/SRAM's spare parts list. I might have a barb and compression olive I can spare. I'll check today or tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Parts from Universal cycles

The same problem happened to me. I got my parts for my Avids from universal cycles who has a good internet site. They are now located in Portland. Look them up on the internet, check out the avid spares and call them up and see if they have them in stock. I ordered quite a few spares for my avids as well as other parts and find them to be very good. My two cents is the avid quality could be much better. The compression nut, olive and bard really is a dicey situaiton. Wait till you break off the compression nut. Whoeee! The Avids are Ok you have done it before but not very forgiving of small errors. Experience is a great teacher but not when you want to use your bike. . Al