Ouch, I am hot!

Juicy Kool Stop Pads Fit Improperly

We replaced the Avid pads with Kool Stop pads and they didn't fit 100% properly!!!! On the Kool Stop vs. the Avid pads, the metal tab that protrudes from the main body of the pad is less centered. As such, one of the mounting bolts on the brake mount was blocking the pad and we needed to undo the mount to fit the Kool Stop pad in. This also, I suspect, leads to decreased adjutability of brake because the bolt is in the way and decreases the amount one can move the mount to adjust.

Am I crazy? Why would the Kool Stop pads made for the Juicy not work 100%? See pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dirdir; 03-12-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    We replaced the Avid pads with Kool Stop pads and they didn't fit 100% properly!!!! On the Kool Stop vs. the Avid pads, the metal tab that protrudes from the main body of the pad is less centered. As such, one of the mounting bolts on the brake mount was blocking the pad and we needed to undo the mount to fit the Kool Stop pad in. This also, I suspect, leads to decreased adjutability of brake because the bolt is in the way and decreases the amount one can move the mount to adjust.

Am I crazy? Why would the Kool Stop pads made for the Juicy not work 100%? See pics.
    The issue is the tab on the right is an "innie", not an "outie." The former is Hayes type and only sort-of works in an Avid caliper. The pads are less secure in the caliper. Avoid them.

Galfer and EBC do it right (Galfers fit both Avid and Hayes).
    galfer.jpg

You could use the Avid pad as a guide and file the tabs to fit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common