Thread: Juicy hosebarb

KITB

Juicy hosebarb

Man, is it me, or is that thing a freaking bad dog to get in the hose? I got it in, but at the expense of a lot of skin on the end of my thumb. I didn't want to grab it with needle noses because I was worried about deforming it. Any suggestions to make this easier?

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Do this

Use a pliar w/round cutouts to hold the hose just short of the end of the hose, but do not squeeze too tight or the barb will not go in- just enough to secure the hose while you push in the barb. Use another pliar, to grab the top of the hosebarb and wiggle back/forth until it goes all the way in. Yes, it's almost impossible to do w/your fingers..
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

KITB
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    Use a pliar w/round cutouts to hold the hose just short of the end of the hose, but do not squeeze too tight or the barb will not go in- just enough to secure the hose while you push in the barb. Use another pliar, to grab the top of the hosebarb and wiggle back/forth until it goes all the way in. Yes, it's almost impossible to do w/your fingers..
    I called SRAM yesterday to ask for tips. They said, "did you get the threaded hosebarb?" I said, "I don't know? It just seems 'barbed' to me." He said, "Well, you probably got the old barbs and they're really hard to get in the hose. The new barbs are threaded and you can just screw them in." Gee, thanks.

And then he said that at the factory they use plastic blocks in a vice and hammer the barb into the hose, and then he said, "we should probably include those plastic blocks with the bleed kit." Gee thanks.

So, finally, I go to the shop to see if they have anything that can help me, cause I'm out of compression fittings, and when I get there, I discover the compression nut is cracking. Not cracked off into the level housing like some people have described, luckily.

I'm not too impressed with SRAM customer service or product quality so far. The brakes worked great when they were working....

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Threaded?

I didn't know threaded barbs were available?
    Just ordered some Goodridge hoses for my Juicy's and it was noted that the '05 brakes have been revised with things like standard threaded fittings, etc. I'm actually getting a slow leak on one of my hose fittings, thinking that the when I install these new hoses, I'll use plumbers tape or something similar to help seal up the threads (assuming that is the source of the leak).
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

KITB
    I didn't know threaded barbs were available?
    Just ordered some Goodridge hoses for my Juicy's and it was noted that the '05 brakes have been revised with things like standard threaded fittings, etc. I'm actually getting a slow leak on one of my hose fittings, thinking that the when I install these new hoses, I'll use plumbers tape or something similar to help seal up the threads (assuming that is the source of the leak).
    Where you getting the Goodridge's and how much?

Yeah, SRAM said "threaded" not "barbed" - which seems like it would be infinitely easier to get that damn thing in the hole.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Mtn High Cyclery

Just got them today, from Mountain High Cyclery. www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Specify '04 or '05 Juicys to get the correct threads on the nut. think they're $49 and $59, front/rear.

Let you know how the installation goes, might do it tomorrow since I have a day off!

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Installation of Goodridge hoses

I installed the Goodridge hydraulic lines, but it was a bit challenging. From what I can tell, the larger internal diameter of these hoses lets the brake fluid flow more faster/easier, therefore better performance. The feel at the lever is a bit snappier, less resistance. The hoses themselves are robust, with the colored PVC over stainless steel braid surrounding a PTFE internal hose,

Installation was a bit of a workout as you have to assembly the hose barb and fittings onto the raw hose ends. It's a screw on style barb, but a very long thread engagement, so it was challenging to hold the hose securely while the screw-barb got increasingly harder to twist in. Once together, the fittings are definitely much more robust than the stock hose. The fittings you can tell are nicely machined with way better tolerances.

We'll see how it performs on the trail. My main concern are leaks at the lever and the related fittings/compression nut etc. Keep you posted.

KITB
    My main concern are leaks at the lever and the related fittings/compression nut etc. Keep you posted.
    Thanks. Are you using the stock compression nuts?

Mine cracked/deformed with LITTLE wrenching. I took it off and put it back on twice, not over torquing it, and it began to crack and deform.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

No it came w/new ones

The Goodridge kit came with it's own compression nut and fittings. The only thing I had to borrow from the old hardware was the caliper banjo shaft bolt (the black bolt with holes to transfer the hydro fluid).