DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Juicy hose shortening - am I crazy, lucky, clueless or stupid?

Ok, so I just shortened up my rear hose for my Juicy 7's which was surprisingly easy (except for getting that hosebarb in). Per the instructions, I just cut the hose, replaced the barb and fitting and tightened it all back into the lever. Now I THOUGHT that I then had to rebleed the whole system, but figured I'd ride it and see how it worked. Just doing a quick spin around the block braking hard every 20', the brake seemed perfect! Is that right?! If so, I'm thrilled. I was dreading doing this figuting I'd f' it all up and end up crying all the way to the LBS! S

Keep it greasy!!
    May 2005
    No, same thing happened to mine. Surprisingly when you cut the line no fluid leaks out so bleeding isn't needed although I bleed mine for the hell of it and they were a bit tighter but not by much.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Excellent! Talked to Larry M at Mountain High and he said the same. Sweet! I may now go shorten up my front hydro line! Or am I pushing my luck? Thanks, S

Keep it greasy!!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Excellent! Talked to Larry M at Mountain High and he said the same. Sweet! I may now go shorten up my front hydro line! Or am I pushing my luck? Thanks, S
    Nope, that's the one I did, no problems!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    let me get this straight.
    I can unscrew the hydraulic line, while its still full of fluid, cut the line - reinstall fittings etc... and then just reattach it to the lever and its ready to ride without bleeding ?

Keep it greasy!!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by caballero
    I can unscrew the hydraulic line, while its still full of fluid, cut the line - reinstall fittings etc... and then just reattach it to the lever and its ready to ride without bleeding ?

More or less, As long as you don't open both ends at once it's like holding a straw full of water upside down with your finger over the top,it won't leak. It didn't change a thing on my front brake but the rear felt a hair spongier but still tight.

Feeding your addiction
    Sometimes you will get air in the system and need to bleed the brake. But, if you're careful then you can usually do it without needing to bleed.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by caballero
    If you attempt this procedure without a bleed kit on hand, this will virtually guarantee that air gets into the system and you will need to do a full bleed. Same thing goes for attempting it the night before a big ride.
    [SIZE=1]Don't believe everything that you think.[/SIZE]

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    And one other thing. You will most likely need a new hosebarb and compression fitting to stick on the end of the freshly cut line. I tried salvages the existing ones, but they were in there pretty darn good. Those parts are included in the bleed kit. Another good reason to have the bleed kit in advance of pulling out the cable cutters! S