Thread: Juicy Failure

Poser

Juicy Failure

So after my run-around with getting a proper seal at the hose/lever the other week, now this:

Last night I go on a new ride, a pretty gnarly fireroad climb and decent. Never made it to the singletrack before dark, so we came down the fireroad. Steep fireroad. The entire way down, I was stoked on how well the Juicys were hanging in there.

So tonight, I grab the rear lever and notice some sponginess. Not a surprise, as I figured the brake workout last night brought some air out of the lines and it was now collected somewhere.

I bleed (my best job yet), finish up, give the lever a good squeeze, and the caliper audibly squirts fluid all over everything. One look and you can tell it came from a piston.

So did the heat toast the piston seal? Or is it possible I did something weird during the bleed and unseated the seal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With some brakes, you can dislodge the piston by squeezing the lever while the caliper has nothing to bite (i.e. a rotor). Any chance that happened?

I for one, am not impressed with my Juicys.

Poser
    Nope. The caliper was always on the rotor while bleeding.

Just for the benefit of the class, I'll follow up. I called SRAM of course, and the honestly helpful guy I spoke with told me to just take it in to a shop, have them call it in, and he'd send a new one to the shop.

I don't want to get the guy busted, but he mentioned there were some early calipers that had sealing problems between the two halves, and thought that might be my case.

I had to buy a mechanical though to keep riding...bummed about that.