Brass Nipples!

Juicy Carbon Lever Rebuild: Missing Click

I have a Juicy Carbon lever that doesn't have the usual detent at the normal lever position. The other side can be pushed away from the bar with a click, then it can be pulled back with another click. I've read that this is a design feature to help prevent damage to the lever internals in a crash.

The side in question doesn't do this. Although it functions properly when I pull on the lever, it frequently is in a position extended away from the bar and can therefore be hard to locate by feel if I need to brake suddenly. I'd like to fix this problem.

I called SRAM and they suggested I rebuild the lever. I ordered a "lever service kit," but now that I received it, it doesn't appear to have any parts which would fix my problem. I don't want to take apart my lever until I get the proper parts. It looks like there are two more kits for the lever, a "push rod kit" and a "piston/internals kit." It looks like the piston/internals kit is what I need.

Does anyone have experience with these kits? Am I on the right track?

Thanks
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Brass Nipples!
    Tough crowd...

Guess I'll order both kits so I'll be sure to have what I need. I'll post back what I find out once I get the lever taken apart.
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 10-21-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Brass Nipples!
    I finally rebuilt my lever. The broken part was in the internals kit, I've included pictures of both kits and their contents as well as the broken and replacement parts.

The service manual describes the broken part as the "worm gear coupling." Getting the c-clip out for the rebuild was a minor pain and the instructions show the worm gear reversed in the diagram, but everything else was pretty straightforward and according to the manual available at the SRAM site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Juicy Carbon Lever Rebuild: Missing Click-img_4741.jpg  

Juicy Carbon Lever Rebuild: Missing Click-img_4742.jpg  

Juicy Carbon Lever Rebuild: Missing Click-img_4745.jpg