mtbr member

Juicy Carbon Brakes

I'm looking to upgrade from my stock Shimano M445 brakes. I saw a listing for a set of front and rear Juicy carbon brakes and was wondering if they were worth the upgrade? I'm 6'5, 210lbs and my current ones are kind of ****, didn't even notice they were hydraulic for a few weeks.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that they're being sold for $150.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    40 views and no replies? I found a few for 120, might be able to get them for cheaper. Also, is it possible to get pads with heat sinks on any set of brakes or is it brake model specific?

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Juicy Carbons had a lot of issues with caliper pistons sticking, I'd personally avoid them.

heatsinks on brake pads are model specific, in fact, only Shimano XT and XTR I think at the moment

what's wrong with your shimano brakes? Even the low end Shimano hydraulics have a solid reputation, even if they're not the best. What size is the front rotor? What pads? If it's a 6in/ 160mm rotor with resin pads, it might be worth upgrading to a 7in/ 186mm rotor and sintered pads (I'm a similar weight and that's what I run). It would be a lot cheaper ($60?) than a new set of brakes..

mtbr member
    180 in the front 160 in the back with resin pads. I would rather pay like $60 more and upgrade the brakes all together. I'll stay clear of the avids, I've read enough negative reviews to keep me away. Do you have any suggestions for my price range? Not looking for anything brand new, used is fine.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I would pass

I had a 5" travel trail bike that I built from the frame up. I chose the Juicy Ultimates cause they were light and regretted the decision. I had all sorts of issues with them from developing air bubbles to overheating on descents to being a pain to align because of the pistons sticking. The most annoying part was the overheating issue. I currently use Avid Elixirs on my 29er and like them but have heard amazing things about the new XT brakes coming out. I know thats a lot more money to spend but I have decided that brakes are not the place to try and save. Hope that helps

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Check out the new SLX M666 - brand new for about $125 each which would put a total of $250. They look pretty close to the XT maybe not as light though.

Also check out Chain love for some Magura BAT's Front & Rear $200.

mtbr member
    ah, just noticed that you're riding a 29er - I'd go 203/185 in that case.

I don't really have many suggestions - I've always heard good things about XT disk brakes (pretty much all versions), old Hope M4s go forever (I just replaced an 11yr old set of Enduro4s which were still working well) and I like the Elixir 5s that I have on now. They're not especially fancy and they're clearly a cheap brake, but they work well and are quiet.

I'd suggest buying new though, ideally through a shop or decent online retailer. Used brakes are often sold because they have issues/ worn out etc and they never seem to sell at enough of a discount to their original price to be worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    Check out the new SLX M666 - brand new for about $125 each which would put a total of $250. They look pretty close to the XT maybe not as light though.

Also check out Chain love for some Magura BAT's Front & Rear $200.
    Both are out of my budget, 150 for both is even pushing it. I might try and convince myself to get the Magura's, they seem to be the best value for the $$

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    ah, just noticed that you're riding a 29er - I'd go 203/185 in that case.

I don't really have many suggestions - I've always heard good things about XT disk brakes (pretty much all versions), old Hope M4s go forever (I just replaced an 11yr old set of Enduro4s which were still working well) and I like the Elixir 5s that I have on now. They're not especially fancy and they're clearly a cheap brake, but they work well and are quiet.

I'd suggest buying new though, ideally through a shop or decent online retailer. Used brakes are often sold because they have issues/ worn out etc and they never seem to sell at enough of a discount to their original price to be worth it.
    Yea, I was pretty deadset on getting a used pair but that makes a lot of sense, I guess I'll be eagerly checking chainlove or a waiting for a decent sale on jenson

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    180 in the front 160 in the back with resin pads. I would rather pay like $60 more and upgrade the brakes all together. I'll stay clear of the avids, I've read enough negative reviews to keep me away. Do you have any suggestions for my price range? Not looking for anything brand new, used is fine.
    hah, I was sitting in my chair reading your post and when I looked at your avatar I realized I was doing the same thing.

But uhh, I can't recommend a whole lot. I'm currently deciding between XT and XTR brakes. Trying to figure out which one is stronger. XTR is lighter and costlier, but apparently isn't stronger than XT. Maybe the expense of weight savings... I don't know

but yeah, I'm over my Avid Elixir 3s. They're going into a box.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    hah, I was sitting in my chair reading your post and when I looked at your avatar I realized I was doing the same thing.

But uhh, I can't recommend a whole lot. I'm currently deciding between XT and XTR brakes. Trying to figure out which one is stronger. XTR is lighter and costlier, but apparently isn't stronger than XT. Maybe the expense of weight savings... I don't know

but yeah, I'm over my Avid Elixir 3s. They're going into a box.
    FYI, XT and XTR are more or less the same, bar the finish (shiny vs black), the weight and the XTs being a 2 piece caliper.

The XTs are fantastic value for money. The SLX are also pretty good, but lack some of the finer features like reach adjust.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    FYI - the SLX have •Dial adjust lever reach -
    Cheers. The joys of old age... Could be the bite point adjust then. I was sure that something was missing between the two. Or it could just be tool free adjust vs tool? I think I need another coffee!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    FYI, XT and XTR are more or less the same, bar the finish (shiny vs black), the weight and the XTs being a 2 piece caliper.

The XTs are fantastic value for money. The SLX are also pretty good, but lack some of the finer features like reach adjust.
    FYI - the SLX have •Dial adjust lever reach -

mtbr member
    Okay heres what I want to do, let me know if theres a problem.

I want to buy these SLX brakes, front and rear:
    2010 Shimano SLX brakes/levers/polypro line FRONT AND REAR - Pinkbike.com

and attach the pads with the heat sinks from this caliper:
    Shimano SLX Disc Brake Calliper M666 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

both are shimano slx's but the levers look different on the 2010 ones on pinkbike compared to the 2011 ones (Shimano SLX Disc Brake M666 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com)

Are these compatible? And just in general, why cant you attach any caliper with any lever? And finally, have you guys heard good things about the 2010 slx's? From what I've read they seem to be solid brakes.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Just answered my own question... the location of the pin is different on the 2011 model so I guess thats a no on the pads. Other questions still remain though.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    You are better off buying them brand new from BlueSkyCycling .com

They are $99 each and come with the rotor and mounting hardware. I think in the long run you will save money buying them new at this price. You will not have to go get hardware, rotors and pads which easily makes up for the $60 difference.

I have heard nothing but good things about the 2010. In fact they are the brakes I have recomended to a good buddy of mine as well.