mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Juicy Carbon Brake Drag

I have a repetitive problem with the inside pad dragging on a set of 06' Juicy Carbon brakes (front). The inside pad doesn't want to retract as much as the outside pad. It has been aligned many times and bled but will only take a ride or two before the inside pad begins to drag again. The fix is to realign. But because the pad isn't retracting completely (At least that's how it appears) the clearance immediately after alignment is very close. No more than .020in clearance per side. The rotor is true to within .005in.
    I have also run the pads in and out to their limits (with the wheel off), blown off the piston with compressed air and then lightly lubed the pistons. This didn't seem to make any difference.

Powered by Pulvoron
    i had the same thing happen with my ultimates and I added shim washers between the caliper and frame. try that first.

dirt diggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The brake has a sticky piston and shimming is not the answer.

OP...your were on the right track with cleaning the piston. If cleaning and "exercising" the piston doesn't free it up, I suggest a new piston and o-ring (quad seal?). Or at least the o-ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    After a while of the pads going in and out in about the same position on the piston and dirt being present there will occur a certain amount of scoring and wear.
    Once this occurs its really hard to stop the piston sticking and its often best, as the above poster said, to just replace parts and not worry about the frustration of continual adjustment. If you've had the brakes since 06 as you mentioned then its maybe time to look at getting some new ones
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"