mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Juicy Alignment - calliper and rotor

I have recently purchased a Giant XTC 2 fitted with Avid Juicy 3's, having never had disk brakes before I have a couple of questions regarding my new brakes. Some of this I posted in the beginners corner although I've added a couple of images to make things a little clearer.

1. Should the gap be larger on one side between the rotor and the pad? Initially the pad was touching the rotor on the right side and slowing the wheel. I have tried to re-centre the caliper over the rotor but it is all the way over in the holes and there is no further adjustment. I removed the wheel and re-seated it in the drop outs and the rubbing stopped. The pads are aligned with 2mm gap on the left and when the brake is applied the disk is pushed over.

There appears to be no further adjustment left in the mounting system to move it over.

See attached image

2. The wear pattern on the disk surface looks to me like the caliper could be mounted a little higher as the pad seems to be 'hanging off' the bottom of the rotor. Check the picture and tell me what you think. I assume itís just a matter of shimming the brakes up a couple of mm to align the caliper on the disk surface? Can anyone tell me where the pads are meant to contact the rotor surface?

please consider that I have only ridden about 30km on these brakes!

See attached image
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Now with pics it is much easier... I guess you can ask your LBS to face your tabs.... maybe the paint is too thick on them, that's why the adjustment may not be enough...

On the rotors, personally I think it looks fine, as you are not grabbing the rotor arms..... if you still want to make it higher you could add a thin washer to the CPS washer stack and try it out...
    Last edited by crisillo; 02-02-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Meh.
    Crisillo beats me again.

Face the tabs or grind down the adapter a little bit. Sometimes things just don't mesh together very well (manufactured to opposite tolerances of the International Standard).

As for the rotor, you really aren't grabbing low, but it certainly can't hurt to space it up a little.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Crisillo beats me again.
    No worries Will... you're still THE MAN!!