On your left!
    Apr 2007

Juicy 7s keeping getting air in the lines

So I've got this problem with my brakes. Bought my bike a while back and straight from the factory the brakes sucked. They weren't spongy but they had air in them. If you stood the bike up on the back wheel, the lever would pull all the way to the bar. I don't typically do 12 o'clock wheelies a lot when I ride so it wasn't a huge issue but it also happened when I was going fast down rocky terrain(ie. not a good place for brakes to stop working).

Took it to the LBS, they bled the brakes out, I rode it one time, and air is back in the lines. I take it back, none too happy, they do it again, I take it out again, same thing happens. So now I take it back a third time, they're apparently tired of bleeding brakes so they call Avid and avid sends me a brand new pair of brakes, no questions asked.

They get installed and I'm happy for oh, about three months but now the problem is back. It's mainly a problem with the front brake but I mean this bike(hifi pro) has <600 miles on it and it's really sketchy to bomb down a hill and realize you have no brakes when you get to the bottom. Any thoughts? Should I just switch them out for something else?
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

Buy a bleed kit, learn to do it yourself.

Just a flesh wound

What a pain

Are you hanging your bike upside down? That will cause air to go from reservoir to lines and calipers. Maybe the bleed is good but the reservoir is not full, so air is getting into the mix.

Custom User Title
    They are a closed system so upside down hanging won't affect them.

OP Have you found any traces of fluid leaking from anywhere?

Have you addjusted them correctly?
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Meh.
    They are open system. I think all brakes currently on the market are open system.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My Juicy 5's do the same thing - I've bled them per Avid's instructions 3 times, same issue. I've bled 2x using my own process, still not perfect.

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    rustyiron- i'd rather use free shop labor\parts, granted it could be a bike shop problem but it's a pretty big bike shop so i'm sure they do at least a couple of these a week

Prophet Julio-nope, not hanging it upside down

coldsteele- no leaking fluid, they feel awesome until you start going over some rough ground

any last thoughts before i thow it in and get some new brakes? it's kinda ridiculous that after 4 bleeds and 2 different sets of brakes on a new bike I've never had brakes that work right. boo for avid.
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_sur
    rustyiron- i'd rather use free shop labor\parts, granted it could be a bike shop problem but it's a pretty big bike shop so i'm sure they do at least a couple of these a week

Prophet Julio-nope, not hanging it upside down

coldsteele- no leaking fluid, they feel awesome until you start going over some rough ground

any last thoughts before i thow it in and get some new brakes? it's kinda ridiculous that after 4 bleeds and 2 different sets of brakes on a new bike I've never had brakes that work right. boo for avid.
    changes your lines...if not then try using then reconnect the fittings with Teflon tape

Dirt Deviant
    Try to tighten down the fittings at the lever and caliper. I've seen some stock setups where the fittings were completely loose......in 1 case I need to tighten the fitting at the lever more than 4 reveloutions to squish the olive. Bad news.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Custom User Title
    Go to Formula my friend. I know that is not the result you are looking for but, my one and only attempt at using J7's resulted in Formula brakes on my ride.

Will - my understanding was that systems like Gremeca and Hope are "open" systems because of the type of master cylinder. Systems that have no ability to open the master cylinder Formula, Hayes and Avid were "closed"

Now I know that Gremeca and Hope don't have air in the but they are closer to an automotive type sytem then Formula, Hayes and Avid.

That's just what I thought.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    Go to Formula my friend. I know that is not the result you are looking for but, my one and only attempt at using J7's resulted in Formula brakes on my ride.

Will - my understanding was that systems like Gremeca and Hope are "open" systems because of the type of master cylinder. Systems that have no ability to open the master cylinder Formula, Hayes and Avid were "closed"

Now I know that Gremeca and Hope don't have air in the but they are closer to an automotive type sytem then Formula, Hayes and Avid.

That's just what I thought.
    They all have reservoirs. The reservoir can be opened. But just because you can remove a cap doesn't make it "open." It's not so literal. All current brakes on the market are open system. The old Hopes were closed system.

Note that open systems are able to self adjust for pad wear. And that the brakes don't pump up when they get warm (unless you're fading them out).

Since it took so long for the problem to arise again... and it's only with one brake. It may just be that the factory bleed was no good. There may have been a bubble of air stuck somewhere that dislodged over rough terrain. Or maybe there was air in the reservoir that got sucked into the system. It's not uncommon for brakes needing to be bled again straight from the factory.

Check that the caliper half bolts are all tight, that the banjo is tight, that the banjo o-ring is not shredded, fittings need to be tight. Check around the pistons and fittings for wetness. Check along the line for wetness, kinks, tears, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur
    Yes, their expertise is proven by the degree of your satisfaction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Maybe your local shop isnt very good at bleeding brake.

mtbr member
    I have Juicy 3s. I assume they were installed by my local bike shop in my Fuel EX7. I have never bled them since I bought the bike in about May 2008. They have not failed. I don't ride DH though, I ride XC. And Im in Michigan.