mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Juicy 7's or Formula K24

Hi everyone , long time lurker , first time poster. I am looking to upgrade to either of the above brakes sometime soon. The Juicy 3's that cam oem with my 08 reign1 just don't cut the mustard imho , while they offer a reasonable degree of stopping power , they feel aweful at the lever to the point where 3/4 power has it clamping onto my knuckles.
    From what I have read the model's above offer " bite adjustement " which is what I prefer.
    I know that Formula have recently had a product recall on some models and I will check the serial numbers before purchase.

Pro's and con's much appreciated

AKA Dr.Nob
    Have you tried to adjust the J3 lever reach? It's the 2mm grub screw on the inside of the lever. You may just get them set where you like with this.

If you want more bling then either of these brakes are better then J3s.
    Most higher end brakes have pad adjustment.

I personally would buy the Avids but I can't say they are any better than the Formulas.

I just like Avids, got three sets on bikes (J5, J7 and Ultimates).
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    It sounds like a bleed and a bit of fitting to your hands may be necessary.

But if you want my opinion, personally I like the Formulas better.

Both are good systems but I feel that Formula has a bit more power and better modulation and is lighter weight but they cost a pretty penny more.

BTW... Welcome to the boards!
    Last edited by bigfish; 01-04-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have a set of J7s and a set of K24 and feel that the K24 are a little nicer. Dont get me wrong, the J7s are a nice brake, but if you were picking between the two I would go with the K24s.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have Juicy 3's on one of my bikes, and Formula K18's on the other. I like the Formula's better.

mtbr member
    I bought 08' juicy 7's on ebay for 220.00 for the front and rear combined. I was going to get the K24 because I heard such good reviews on them, but the cost was going to be a little more than I wanted to spend after buying all the other components for my build. You can find the juicy 7's for cheap and they are a very good brake. You might read reviews about squeeking but I have not heard a sound from them yet. Plus the 08's are lighter than previous juicy 7's!! But I have heard only good things about the formula's so if you have the money I guess you could not go wrong with them either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, went for a ride on the weekend after playing with the lever reach , still the same issue. I'll take it to the LBS and get them to bleed the brakes again and see if that resolves the issue otherwise it's time to go shopping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Formula all the way

I own both brakes and would not hesitate one second, Formula oro is the one I prefere by far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had the juicy's (7) upgraded to the formula oro (puro's but really there isn't much difference between them and 24's, just bling factor). The formula's were markedly better in virtually every regard: power, modulation, etc.

Knollician
    I upgraded from Juicy Ultimates to k24's (I also have Juicy 7's) and there is no comparision. The K24's rock, Chris at Formula answered all of my questions.

The Juicy's are no slouch, but the Formulas are just more refined, I personally like the lever feel better, certainly better modulation and super quiet. I have a set on The Ones coming to replace my J7's as soon as they are available.

Definately check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery for the best prices, you might be surprised!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight