mtbr member
    May 2009

Juicy 7s with 160mm disc (09)

I have just bought a Juicy 7 (2009) front disc assembly to replace my very old Hayes Solo single piston (i think). Having looked at various reviews (after), it seems the 7 doesnt fare very well. Should I be worried or are the 09 version free of noise and shudder?

Many state that organic pads and a diffrent rotor will sort any problems, any advice from 7 long term owners.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a1rports
    I have just bought a Juicy 7 (2009) front disc assembly to replace my very old Hayes Solo single piston (i think). Having looked at various reviews (after), it seems the 7 doesnt fare very well. Should I be worried or are the 09 version free of noise and shudder?

Many state that organic pads and a diffrent rotor will sort any problems, any advice from 7 long term owners.

Thanks for any help.
    I am a long term juicy user (about 4 years) and have mostly had good luck. Recently the rear juicy on my Sultan developed annoying drag, shudder, etc. I did everything I could think of - bled and re-bled the brakes, new pads, new rotor had 2 local bike shops "work on it" - still dragging and noisy. I was about ready to go to a new brake when someone on hear suggested the organic pads, while I thought they were nuts I figured that the organic pads were a lot cheaper than new brakes. Now, with the organic pads the brakes are perfect again. Go figure.

mtbr member
    I have had the 7's on a bike of mine and wasn't happy with them at all. However, I have a buddy that has them on his bike and they are very nice. I have never seen such a huge variance in brakes than I have with the 7's. Some people love them and others dislike them.

Rider and Wrench
    I have been using 08' Juicy's for about 2 years, I have had two sets on a number of different frames/bikes (Steel/alum HT 29ers, and alum F/S and HT 26ers). Overall I have been happy with them for XC use- They are a very reliable brake with a nice "feel" and modulation. For XC use the also have good stopping power as well. As for set up they get along with Shimano Shifters (sram of course) well and the pad contact and lever adjustment makes setting your grab preference pretty easy. They are also self adjusting so other than allignment/rub they have been set and forget-

As for up keep and once you bleed them once or twice it becomes fairly simple, this being said I have only just re-bled the front brake on a set for the first time in a year and 1/2 after being on 3-4 different frames. Getting them drag free is not always easy, but the calipers have a ton of adjustment in all directions so it is correctable (it is recommend that one use a wide blade to "spread" the caliper to reset the pistons prior to re-alignment (I have found that 160's are easier to keep from dragging since they seem to stay true longer than larger rotors.. just my thoughts).

Except-
    The only bike I ever had trouble with them was an older Yeti Arc, it created the dreaded turkey warble. This is not a shudder or ignorable noise it resonated through the entire frame to the point insanity! This was no normal noise or rub it was from another world.- I tried all of the stuff that everybody on the Juicy 7mega thread does and ended up putting BB7's on it- I think it was the super rigid looped rear frame combined with the build I had?

I have found that normal Shudders etc.. can normally be corrected by removing the pads, re-surfacing them by putting sandpaper on a flat surface and taking the glaze and crud off of the pads, and using emory paper on the rotors. Wipe them with plain old drug store alcohol and you must then do a minor re-bed to get them back to normal. I had a mechanic in the past that did this on my old 98' Trek with first generation hayes brakes as well- so I am not saying this is juicy specific though.

Anyway I would not be worried overall they are a very good and reliable brake for the price-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Moving this to the Brake forum. I know, a big leap in logic but I think it will work.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU