mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Juicy 7 vs. bb7?

[Apologies in advance if this has been discussed to death already]

I'm trying to build up my first 29er and need to pick out some brakes. Can anyone tell me what advantages the Juicy 7s might have over the bb7s? Are they worth the extra $60? Why or Why not?

Freshly Fujified

My experience

I own both, and while the BB7's are an excellent brake, the feel and modulation on the Juicy 7's are superior. While this probably doesn't translate into more stopping power, getting to the same level of stopping power is an easier and more pleasurable experience.

Does that equate into $120/set cost difference? That's your call.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've had both and I must say that I'd go with the juicys (I have 5's and 7s now). The adjustability of the BB7s are great early but adjusting the pads to avoid rub gets old after awhile and as they get dirty - the inside dial becomes a huge pain to turn. I love the Juicy 7s over the 5s, but I'd take the 5s over the BB7s.

as far as stopping power is concerned - I'll agree with clyde - I've never had a problem with the BB7s bringing me to a halt in the same distance as the 7s or 5s, but the modulation of hydraulic brakes over mechs is great.
    but like clyde said - it's your call. For me the $60 difference is worth not dealing with adjusting pads

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My question is...

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney
    I've had both and I must say that I'd go with the juicys (I have 5's and 7s now). The adjustability of the BB7s are great early but adjusting the pads to avoid rub gets old after awhile and as they get dirty - the inside dial becomes a huge pain to turn. I love the Juicy 7s over the 5s, but I'd take the 5s over the BB7s.

as far as stopping power is concerned - I'll agree with clyde - I've never had a problem with the BB7s bringing me to a halt in the same distance as the 7s or 5s, but the modulation of hydraulic brakes over mechs is great.
    but like clyde said - it's your call. For me the $60 difference is worth not dealing with adjusting pads
    can you in fact dial out pad rub with the Juicys, absolutely for sure you have no pad rub to drive you nuts??? I have two bikes with BB7s and yeah, I have to dial out the pad rub on occasion but at least I CAN with the BB7s. I lean over, turn a few dials and I know for sure I got no pad rub. I would love to have a set of hydros for their lever feel and power if I absolutely knew I would never ever have pad rub. It drives me nuts but maybe I'm in the minority. Maybe there are many riders out there who don't notice it or if they do don't mind it, but that's why I only use BB7s--my rides are pad-rub-free, for sure, every ride.

Freshly Fujified

On the J7, yes

In fact the pad adjustment knob is on the lever assembly making it that much easier than the BB7 to adjust pad contact.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Meh.
    Actually... the red knob DOES NOT affect pad position. It simply changes the throw/engagement point of the lever.

The pistons are self-adjusting (it's an open system). So assuming that the brake fluid isn't horribly old or the system overfilled, you should not have issues with rubbing once set up correctly.