mtbr member
    May 2006

Juicy 7 sqealing

I'm developing a pretty bad sqeal in my rear brake. I recently converted to tubeless and in the process I was using soapy water to help seat the tire bead. I noticed I spilled some of that soapy water on the rotor, but in my haste forgot to clean it before I rode. Nothing bad for the first few rides, but the last two rides have developed an intense sqeal. Sounds like a dump truck coming to a stop....The bike resonates and vibrates pretty bad. If I modulate the brakes a little, I can get it to stop, but its a bit ridiculous. Have I contaminated the rotor and pads? If so can I do anything, or should I just replace the pads?

nice marmot.
    i hate to say this, but welcome to the club my friend. if you search around here, you will find more than one thread with the same news. i don't know what it is about the juicy 7's but trust me when i say you are not the only who has a rear brake making horrible noises and even worse vibrations. i wish i had the answer... it maybe replacement.
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtnsinbreck
    i hate to say this, but welcome to the club my friend. if you search around here, you will find more than one thread with the same news. i don't know what it is about the juicy 7's but trust me when i say you are not the only who has a rear brake making horrible noises and even worse vibrations. i wish i had the answer... it maybe replacement.

My front one squeals like a mofo when it warms up.

I'm taking Squeaky's advice and using Galfer Pads, I already got some from Larry at Mtn High, just haven't installed them yet.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Adobo Lover
    I went on a ride in slightly damp conditions and I honestly can say my squeeking has left for the time being. Still adjusting with washers to combat the slight pulsating. The thought of buying another set of brakes is slightly dissipating.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Which rotor you got? Ninja looking ones seam to squeak more than other rotors changing them may help.

Adobo Lover
    Mine are the G2 which came with my 07 Juicys! Sorry couldn't tell if that question was directed to me or dlink72
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    My front one squeals like a mofo when it warms up.

I'm taking Squeaky's advice and using Galfer Pads, I already got some from Larry at Mtn High, just haven't installed them yet.

My back one's noisy--like the fella says above, squeals, bike shudders and resonates--unbelievably loud! I took the pads out and sanded them down a bit, and they were quieter for a while at least. A different set of pads seems like the next step to try.

The Galfer Pads are the hot ticket, then? Which ones, red or green? I figured either new metallic Avid pads (going on the assumption that the old ones were contaminated) or Avid Organic pads, or the Koolstop pads that Stan's recommends with his aluminum rotors--anyone tried these with the stock Avid stainless steel rotors? These are my first disc brakes but I always found Koolstop rim brake pads to be a good choice. Or should I get these Galfer pad, which I've never heard of til now.

Any pad recommendations would be much appreciated to stop this unholy howling! (the brakes and me, too, 'cause I can't stand a noisy bike and the bloody thing's only have 200 miles on!) I ride rolling terrain and tend to ride the brakes lightly to control speed rather than brake hard, though I do that when necessary too. So, since I'm not descending any mountains and don't wear out pads often, long life and eyeball-launching power are secondary to quieting these things down...waddya think?
    Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by SteveF; 06-16-2007 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey 95Stumpy,

That is bad news when I bought my Juicy 7's three years ago they were giving away the new G2 rotors because the other ones were squeaking so bad and the G2's supposedly did not. I never replaced mine and just learned to live with the squeaking.

AKA Dr.Nob
    You can always tell who's running 7's
    Changed from the original pads to Metalic pads with aluiminum backing (can't remember the brand). The bike now stops.
    I'm thinking that they don't work properly when there are both new pads and rotors.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    May not work for you but I switched to some EBC green pads and it cured my turkey gobbel/squeal/shudder. I'm running 07 juicy sevens.

Two wheels are best
    I've had good results using Avid's Organic pad. I'm only running them on the rear as that's where the most noise was coming from.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    I have 07's with G2's, both front and back squeal, front shudders badly at low/mod speed. Have just put a set of koolstop pads in the back and they seem ok so far, but have only been on a few short test rides. If the fix lasts I will change over the front pads as well, if not, I will go back to shimano's. I am gobsmacked that a set of brakes at this price can have this problem; I think Avid should be ashamed of themselves...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Koolstop pads worked for me on my 07's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    The Galfer Pads are the hot ticket, then? Which ones, red or green? I figured either new metallic Avid pads (going on the assumption that the old ones were contaminated) or Avid Organic pads, or the Koolstop pads that Stan's recommends with his aluminum rotors--anyone tried these with the stock Avid stainless steel rotors? These are my first disc brakes but I always found Koolstop rim brake pads to be a good choice. Or should I get these Galfer pad, which I've never heard of til now.
    I have squealing on my rear Hayes 9s and tried Galfer reds. The squealed worse than the stock pads. They were also expensive, don't come with springs, the red paint flakes off and sticks to the piston, they once smelled like overheated brake linings on a car, and they are thicker than the stock Hayes so that they drag the rotor. They do seem to brake a little better though. Othewise I am underwhelmed.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've been gone a few days since my post, but I finally got a chance to take the pads out today, sand them down and clean the rotors with alchohol. That seems to help, but after a 1 1/2 hour ride today they started up again towards the last 15 minutes or so. Nothing quite as bad as before. As for the rotors, they are what came with hifi pro. The trail hasn't seen a drop of rain in neary 3 weeks so conditions are very dusty. That may have something to do with it.

banned
    I went with Avid organic pads and larger rotors. My 7's used to howl at the moon and the dirt and everything else all the dang time. They don't make a sound now.

Trying a little
    do you think it was org pads or maybe was it when you put on the new rotors first of all they werent contaminated with grease like th old rotos n pads, and when you put them on you tightened and prepped the rotor bolts to spec and centered the pads better maybe

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    do you think it was org pads or maybe was it when you put on the new rotors first of all they werent contaminated with grease like th old rotos n pads, and when you put them on you tightened and prepped the rotor bolts to spec and centered the pads better maybe
    I do think it was the organic pads. I had changed pads and rotors like 3 times. New this and new that. New this with old that. Old that with some of this and that. Add a bit of everything else, and I was squealin' like a stuck piglet just like always. It really sucked on 100 plus mile rides.

I centered and recentered and uncentered and grossly uncentered. I cleaned and wiped and cleaned again. I soiled them with wet mud. I sanded and scrubbed and baked and pondered and punched until redline and close defeat. Doing that crap just sucks.

When Bikeman picked up the Avid organics, I bought two sets. I wanted more power anyway, so I went with a 203 up front and a 185 in the rear. I sort of wanted to just try the organics without the larger rotors just to see if it was the end-all, but as you have mentioned, I didn't want ANYTHING to contaminate everything, so I wanted new on new and didn't have time to squibbly around with testing and evaluating. It was my last effort on the 7s. If they made a noise, it was bin box central.

It's all spicy clams now.

Ohh... and I don't get, "grease" on my rotors... ever.

Trying a little
    i mean maybe, a few too many drops of accidental oil or grease or chain lub on the rotor spins around when you ride spreads it nice and even then when you brake it gets cooked into the pads and I think its squeak city. cuz that happened to me. and all the sanding and alcohol didn't help. new pads, and rotors fixed the issue. hayes 9s.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.