mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Juicy 7 rebuild or replace

i did a slickrock section with a big handful of brake yesterday and after that the brakes never felt right. when i got home i took the pads out to see what was going on and i had a piston not returning. so i squirt some brake cleaner in there and use my plastic tire lever to work the piston in and out...the piston/bore fell out.

Question: this caliper has 2+ yrs of continuous use but is 4 yrs old. Cost wise is it worth rebuilding? Let me just say, it won't be me rebuilding it, don't have the patience or the fingers to work on things that small. Any ideas on how much a shop would charge to rebuild it? I can probably get a new one for $100.

Also I've been using Galfer Red pads and they seem to have been good, wear quick, but good. Any other suggestions that I should entertain?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I think an honest shop will tell you that is cheaper to replace the caliper or maybe the whole system rather than pay for shop time. As they have had a fair bit of use there would be some worn parts too and it wouln't be worth it.

If you could do it yourself then it wouldn't be to bad.

Rub it............
    Its usually cheaper just to replace them. If you called Avid, you might be able to get just a replacement caliper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks, kind of what i suspected.