Paper Street

Juicy 7 Question

I received the Demo 8 I ordered today, and the first thing I noticed after kind of reassembling it is that the bike shop it shipped from must have bled the brakes dry before shipping it, because the lever mashed all the way down to the handlebars.

Mmmmmm, so I immediately get on the parktools website, and realize it looks like I need a bleed kit. Of course I've never done this procedure, because normally I just pay the guy who owns the shop 2 minutes from my house to wrench on my rides. I get to play with my son, he gets to pay his rent, and ply his trade. It's a win-win.

So I ordered one (a bleed kit) off amazon, but I am curious to see if they are able to ship it with the fluid inside. At any rate if they are able to it is going to take another 10 days to get the bike moving unless anyone knows of a way to pull it off with just 2 syringes? I mean can it really be that difficult? Or am I wasting my time?

None of this would probably be an issue if I weren't in Kabul, where the nearest LBS is probably a 3 hour plane flight to Dubai, and then maybe. So I need to improvise a bit if I hope to ride my bike on some ancient Persian goat trails.

Meh.
    You need the bleed kit because it has fittings that thread into the lever and caliper. It's not difficult... though very thorough. Read the Avid instructions, read the Park instructions a couple time through until you are able to bleed without checking. The bleed kit should ship with a little bottle of fluid. If not... head over to your local auto parts store (or preferably a performance/tuner auto or motorcycles shop) and grab a bottle of glycol based DOT 4 or 5.1 fluid. DO NOT get silicone based DOT 5.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    You might not need to bleed. Install the wheel and try pumping the lever a lot, sometimes it'll come back up and be fine.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    No, not difficult at all. It just takes patience as you need to keep trying to get the little bubbles out. I had the same thing with my (supposedly) pre-bled brakes. I must have spent a couple of hours on the front, and really should get around to doing the back at some point.
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP