mtbr member

Juicy 7 pad replacement

Can someone tell me how to change the brake pads on the avid juicy 7's. I have about 400 - 500 miles on them and they are starting to lose some power and squeal a bit so it must be time to replace them. It seems that I had instructions at one time but I can not find them. I tried a search here and the avid website (they only show how to change the mechanical brake pads).

PS When I searched I saw lots of negative comments on these brakes but so far for me they have been great.

Two wheels are best
    Other than the adjustment part of pad replacement on the mechanical Avid's, the pads are replaced the same way. You'll need to carefully push the pistons apart so they will fit over the rotor.

See the Install Guide for the caliper alignment procedure.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    Other than the adjustment part of pad replacement on the mechanical Avid's, the pads are replaced the same way. You'll need to carefully push the pistons apart so they will fit over the rotor.

See the Install Guide for the caliper alignment procedure.

Thanks DM-SC. You mention to "carefully push the pistons apart"--do I just use a screwdriver to push them apart?

Two wheels are best
    That's what I do. Since you are replacing the pads, do it BEFORE you remove the old ones.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Can someone tell me how to change the brake pads on the avid juicy 7's. I have about 400 - 500 miles on them and they are starting to lose some power and squeal a bit so it must be time to replace them. It seems that I had instructions at one time but I can not find them. I tried a search here and the avid website (they only show how to change the mechanical brake pads).

PS When I searched I saw lots of negative comments on these brakes but so far for me they have been great.

Before replacing them, try sanding the pads just a bit to remove the shiny layer that forms on the surface. Bed them in again. You should be good to go.

When this shiny surface is formed, the pads are "glazed". The symptoms are squeal and loss of power. It's cured by sanding lightly the pads with fine grit paper over a flat surface.
    Check my Site