always learning

Juicy 7 pad adjustment and bleed question

]I recently learned to bleed by 7's and it comes out great except I'd like the pads to contact the rotor sooner. According to the Avid bleed instructions I've always backed out the pad adjustment all the way before bleeding, however I feel like after the bleed I would need to back them out even more for them to feel the way I like (I want very little pull before contact engages). Would it mess anything up if I bled the system with the pad adjustment somewhere in the middle so I would have a range of adjustment after the bleed?
    Thanks for any info

Meh.
    You can, but don't overdo it. What you're doing is purposely overfilling the system. If you go too much then the fluid won't have room to expand as it heats up, this will push the pistons out.

You can take the rotor out from between the pads and squeeze the lever to pump out the pistons a little bit. Then reinstall the wheel. This will firm up the lever. However, you have more power and control as your hands pull the lever closer to the bar (ergonomics/biometrics).

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You can, but don't overdo it. What you're doing is purposely overfilling the system. If you go too much then the fluid won't have room to expand as it heats up, this will push the pistons out.

You can take the rotor out from between the pads and squeeze the lever to pump out the pistons a little bit. Then reinstall the wheel. This will firm up the lever. However, you have more power and control as your hands pull the lever closer to the bar (ergonomics/biometrics).
    Gotcha, thanks
    I also just found a thread about doing the same thing with Codes. That thread mentioned one or two turns at the most so it sounds like the same thing you're talking about (in fact is may have been you that said it ). I'll give it a shot right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Remove the wheel and then pull the lever about half way in. Then top up the master cylinder again so its full and reinstall wheel then recheck lever travel. If you want less travel repeat it until you get it how you like it.

Meh.
    Paul's suggestion could also work, it's the same as overfilling the system.