mtbr member
    May 2006

Juicy 7: One sticky piston - Need advice

Having issues w/ a Juicy 7. Been running the brake for awhile w/ no problems but now have issues w/ the front brake. My steps:
    --remove wheel
    --push both pistons all the way back into caliper body.
    --loosen CPS alignment screws.
    --re-install wheel.
    --squeeze lever until pads contact rotor.
    --put just enough pressure on lever to rotate wheel a couple times.
    --hold this same pressure and tighten CPS bolts, alternating b/t the two until tight.

what i get:

--pads don't return very much, leaving way too small a gap b/t pad and rotor.
    Rotor rubs one side.

***I've re-bled the brake, pushing the pistons all the way into the body to be sure I don't have to much fluid....also w/ the pad adjustment knob turned all the way out.
    ***when i cycle the brake w/o pads, only one piston will move in. the other moves a little bit, but that's it. I've even aligned the caliper manually by hand w/ the same eventual results.

*my problem def. seems to be related to the one piston not moving.
    Last thing I've tried is to limit the good piston from moving and cycling the lever to get the bad piston to move out. I've been cycling this a dozen times and the piston moves fine when I keep the other piston from moving, but the two pistons still don't draw in evenly when cycled normally.

thanks for the help! very appreciated....
    Lee

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Disregard this post. I searched this issue and found a lot on it.
    Thanks.

Meh.
    Get the sticky piston to push out. Clean with alcohol. Lube with silicone spray or DOT fluid. Work the piston in and out. Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks!
    I'll do just that.
    also appreciate the tip about 20mm Marz fork adaptors being
    5mm thicker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Could you please post whether or not you were successful in solving the issue?

I have exactly the same problem with my Juicy 5 front brake. I'm very close to ditch that damn thing cos it's the only thing on my bike that doesn't work 110%. It really pisses me off...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, that would be good to know around the board. Trialsrookie and leem, if this doesn't solve the issue, don't be afraid to give the tech support guys a call. Something might be out of tolerance (piston, seal, bore) that's causing the issue, and the folks over there can help square you guys away. Gotta remember that manufacturing isn't an absolute and deviations do happen. Sucks, but that's why they pay those people manning the phone lines. Heck, a lot of times you can get your answer a bit quicker if you call them up when the trouble arises. Just been my experience with most companies in general.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I messed around w/ this issue last night and it improved my problem but didn't eliminate it. I think that it's the answer, though. I just think that the type of dirt I ride a lot in has a factor in this as well.

I ride, as a lot of other do as well, in soil that can get very dry and silty. Silt-factor 10 for sure. The stuff sticks to everything and I always have to clean around my seals on my fork because the stuff causes a ton of sticiton there as well. I'm going to take the caliper apart tonight and check out my piston seals...

It did help my issue quite a bit, though. It's better but not like it was before.