mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here. Juicy 7 hoses leaking

I've just put my Juicy 7's on and noticed that the hoses were leaking. I rechecked the connections, bled the brakes and guess what: still leaking. So I had a REALLY close look only to find that the fluid is weeping out through tiny, pinprick sized holes in the hoses! There is a hole every half inch along the hose, and a tiny drop of fluid oozes out of each one every time I squeeze the lever hard. There is even a small circular ' witness' mark around each hole, obviously left by whatever machine made the holes in the first place. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I've emailed Avid about it but have yet to get a response. A bad batch of hoses maybe?

ride

odd

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral
    I've just put my Juicy 7's on and noticed that the hoses were leaking. I rechecked the connections, bled the brakes and guess what: still leaking. So I had a REALLY close look only to find that the fluid is weeping out through tiny, pinprick sized holes in the hoses! There is a hole every half inch along the hose, and a tiny drop of fluid oozes out of each one every time I squeeze the lever hard. There is even a small circular ' witness' mark around each hole, obviously left by whatever machine made the holes in the first place. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I've emailed Avid about it but have yet to get a response. A bad batch of hoses maybe?
    That sounds pretty strange to me. At least it'll be relatively easily rectified. Let us know what you hear from Avid.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

the guff

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    That sounds pretty strange to me. At least it'll be relatively easily rectified. Let us know what you hear from Avid.
    Okay, Avid said that these are 'breather' holes and are completely normal. What they said can happen is that if a) the compression fitting isn't tight enough or b) the hose isn't cut neatly enough, then fluid can be forced around the barb and BETWEEN the layers of the brake line and out of afore mentioned breather holes ( as I understand it, a kind of delamination effect within the hose).

Now, I've checkes and triple checked the compression nut, even lightly greasing the thread to stop it from binding, and I'm sure that it's okay. So it's off to the LBS I go to get some new olives and barbs, and have another crack at these hoses ( luckily I've left them long enough to do this ).

I'll update the post in a few days after I've done it to let you know if it has fixed the problem or not. Meanwhile, my advice to anyone about to shorten their Avid hoses is be very careful to get the cut as neat as possible, because the bleed kit only has enough parts to do each hose once....

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral
    I'll update the post in a few days after I've done it to let you know if it has fixed the problem or not. Meanwhile, my advice to anyone about to shorten their Avid hoses is be very careful to get the cut as neat as possible, because the bleed kit only has enough parts to do each hose once....
    I thought that sounded strange. Definitely make sure to cut the hoses clean. Also, depending on how short you cut your hoses the 1st time, they may need to be replaced now - the hoses may be too short after you cut out the barbs...
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO