mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Juicy 7 to Elixir CR - is it worth the upgrade ($150-$175)

I ride mostly XC and some light AM every blue moon. The vast majority of my riding is simply bombing it out on xc single tracks though. I could sell my Juicy 7's and replace them with Elixirs for about $150. Is the performance gains worth it or should I stick with my 7's and save that money for something else?

mtbr member
    i dont think so. juicy 7 to formula brakes would be a better improvement. universalcycles has the oro biancos on closeout. they are light years better than the elixirs i have on my ss.

mtbr member
    I have Juicy 7's on my Ellsworth Truth and Elixir's on my Salsa Mamasita 29er. I can't really tell the difference. The Elixir's are much easier to change the pads on though.

Mal Ad Osteo
    Aren't the Elixir R/CR's very similar to the 7's?

Personally I would just bump it up to some Formula K18/24s

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by somsom
    Aren't the Elixir R/CR's very similar to the 7's?

Personally I would just bump it up to some Formula K18/24s
    As to the issue of it being worth the move, that's hard to say...might also depend on your financial situation. I would disagree with those who say the J7's are as powerful as Elixirs. Elixirs are pretty darned impressive brakes. They are a jump ahead of the Juicy line. And on the comparison and design of the Juicy's and Elixirs, none of the components except for perhaps the hose material are the same. Don't get me wrong...J7's are very good brakes. Elixirs are just at another level where good, modulated, power is concerned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Elixir's are more powerful, and lets not forget about lighter.. I have no complaints my elixirs have been a godsend compared to the bogus juicy 5's..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Money isn't bad. I was going to drop 1900 and wound up dropping 1100 so I have 800 to spare towards upgrades and maybe more riding gear.

Odds are looking nice that I will be upgrading from low-mid wheels to Kings laced on Mavic 819 rims for about $300-$400 if the deal I am working on works out. That leaves another ~$400 to play with.

I wanted to get a Thomson stem and seat post which puts me at ~$250 left.

I was thinking of getting better breaks or maybe just some riding gear with the rest. I am not in a hurry to change anything out but will be looking for good sales on what I do trade into. If I find the right sales or deals then I may be able to do even more with my bike.

Meh.
    Juicy 7s are more like the Formulas... The design is very similar. The Juicy and Elixir share almost nothing in common. The MC design is different. The caliper is different.

The Elixirs are more powerful and have better modulation than the Formulas and Juicys. And the system is lighter than the Juicys.

Formulas are not all that they are cracked up to be.

Live Free or Ride!
    As long as Avid has cleared up their Juicy problem with the vibrations.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Avid is dropping the juicy line up so I would save my money and wait until they go to total close out. Or go get a weekend job at a bike shop and pay 250 for a pair of elixir crs

TNC
    noMAD man
    As far as upgrading is concerned, why not just get the Elixir R's? I bought two of those sets for a very reasonable price and couldn't be happier...better than the Juicy and Hayes units they replaced. My opinion is that the CR's are overpriced for the given features. My R's have the swiveling bango bolt on the calipers and easy lever reach adjustment. How many more doodads do we need?

Rider and Wrench
    If I were going to go and buy the brakes it would be the Elixir CR's for sure compared to the Juicy 7's.
    I have been running 2 sets (08's) of Juicy 7's for the past 2 or so years and installed them on a number of different bikes. I have run them with 160's 185' and even 203's and they have worked well and only on one of eight or so builds did I ever get the howling turkey warble nightmare. They have decent modulation and stopping power for XC use....

However I purchased a set of the Elixir CR's for a build I did this spring and it was quite a difference. As mentioned I never had any real issues with the Juicy 7's but the stopping power and modulation is much improved. I am currently running 160mm rotors on the Elixir Cr bike and 185F/160R on the Juicy 7 bike and ride them back to back on the same trails fairly often and I feel that the Elixir's still have more power, never feel weak at all and offer perfect one finger modulation- BTW I am 210# with gear so not a light weight.

If the Juicy's are new and you can sell them before they get any trail damage/use and offset most of the cost then go for it- Like I said though had Never tried the Elixir's I would have been perfectly satisfied with the Juicy 7's-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I replaced my Juicy 7's with Elixir CR's when I trashed one of my Juicy 7 levers. I can't say whether it was worth the money, but I really like the Elixirs. Here are the advantages in my opinion:
    - Better looking (if you care)
    - More effective and easier contact point adjustment. I could never seem to tell the difference on the Juicy 7's, but can easily tell on the Elixirs.
    - Easier reach adjustment, but how often do you need to adjust this?
    - MUCH easier pad replacement. I can't believe how much better this works compared to the Juicy's.
    - Stopping power seems about the same to me
    - Modulation is somewhat better on the Elixirs.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Those of you not noticing any power increase with the Elixirs over the Juicys, I'm not riding your bike, so I guess I obviously can't qualify your experience...but...I find it very strange. Are any of you guys with this experience riding bigger hit, long travel, bikes in any steep terrain? If you're riding more XC type trail on a more XC oriented bike, I can see the Juicy's being more than powerful enough. They are a good brake. But the Elixir is just noticeably more powerful in all my experiences and comparison. I have two bikes with Elixirs...Nomad and Bullit...and one bike with Juicys...Stumjumper FSR. And I get to ride different bikes through our shop with both brakes. All of us in the shop notice the same thing...Elixirs are possibly the most powerful two-piston brakes around. I'm not dissin' anyone's opinion, but the difference between the power of the two brake systems just seems quite evident those in our area. I promise...Avid didn't send any of us free Elixirs to get us to praise them...LOL!

mtbr member
    I like my Elixer CR's, the make so much noise that I don't even use them. I believe the they incorporate the noise so that you have no choice but to ride faster. Can't forget how BLINGIN' they look!

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Those of you not noticing any power increase with the Elixirs over the Juicys, I'm not riding your bike, so I guess I obviously can't qualify your experience...but...I find it very strange. Are any of you guys with this experience riding bigger hit, long travel, bikes in any steep terrain? If you're riding more XC type trail on a more XC oriented bike, I can see the Juicy's being more than powerful enough. They are a good brake. But the Elixir is just noticeably more powerful in all my experiences and comparison. I have two bikes with Elixirs...Nomad and Bullit...and one bike with Juicys...Stumjumper FSR. And I get to ride different bikes through our shop with both brakes. All of us in the shop notice the same thing...Elixirs are possibly the most powerful two-piston brakes around. I'm not dissin' anyone's opinion, but the difference between the power of the two brake systems just seems quite evident those in our area. I promise...Avid didn't send any of us free Elixirs to get us to praise them...LOL!
    I have the Juicy's on a 26er FS and the Elixirs on a 29er HT (120mm vs 80mm forks), so there is a difference in wheel rolling weight and fork weight and response, so that is likely why they both seem about the same to me. Most of my riding is Colorado type XC where steep descents (and climbs) for miles on end are common. I actually push my limits quite a bit further on my 29er HT too so I am descending faster on harder terrain than I am comfortable on the 26er FS. In either case both work quite well for me other than having to go to non-metalic brake pads due to excessive noise and vibration on both bikes.

BTW - anyone interested in an Ellsworth Truth, nearly new with less than 500 miles on it? Check the classifieds.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Definitely worth the upgrade from Juicy to Elixir... Mine are super quiet - no noise whatsoever.... maybe the odd little chirp in damp conditions but that's it.... no howl, no warble, no turkey gobble, just pure braking power.... and the top loading pads (meaning you can swap pads without removing the wheels) is worth it alone... braking modulation is MUCH better on the Elixirs and the contact point and reach adjust on the CR is super slick and easy.... I say get them.... Plus you save a bit of weight too if that matters to you....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    Definitely worth the upgrade from Juicy to Elixir... Mine are super quiet - no noise whatsoever.... maybe the odd little chirp in damp conditions but that's it.... no howl, no warble, no turkey gobble, just pure braking power.... and the top loading pads (meaning you can swap pads without removing the wheels) is worth it alone... braking modulation is MUCH better on the Elixirs and the contact point and reach adjust on the CR is super slick and easy.... I say get them.... Plus you save a bit of weight too if that matters to you....
    How did you set yours up? Did you do the Spin, Lock up the brake, tighten down the bolts, method? I tried for hours to get mine to stop making noise, but I'm finding it impossible!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

LCW
    mtbr member
    Yeah - I followed Avid's procedure... Did it a couple times. The trick is to not have the bolts too loose when you do it I think. Also, doing a proper burnish afterwards seems to be key - so that the pads and rotors mate well... Ie. doing a bunch of easy stops - firm but not mashing on the brakes, just gradually easing on them to a full stop. And let them cool a bit between stops to you don't overheat and warp your rotor. Like 30 of them. May seem like a lot but you can do it in like 10-15min. You can do it just in the street in front of your house.

cheers

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    sweet a$$ ride btw!

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    i just bought a pair of juicy 7's on sale online and i love them! i have been going over all my options for brakes for my first upgrade and they are solid. i set them up and read a lot online ahead of time, and i have no howling, no squealing and fast solid stopping.