Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Juicy 7 - El Camino - Mono Mini - which one ?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SSINGA 
#1 ·
OK,
I am currently completing my new race bike and am stuck on which brake to use.
I have got it down to three brakes, Hope's Mono mini - Avid's Juicy 7 and Hayes El Camino.

I am currently leaning towards the Hope Mono Mini's, but that is based on owning past Minis (03 versions) which were great, and never failed me in all my years of racing and training on them. How do they compare power wise to the older models ? shiuld i go with a 185mm rotor up front to keep power the same ? etc... any tips ?
I Really like the features that the juicy's have but i am a little hesitent to try them out after hearing lots of bad reviews concerning the stuttering etc....
And as for the El Camino's, I know absolutely nothing about them, as being in Australia they arent available and probably wont be for sometime (online mail order :cool: :) )
Being from hayes i am sure they will be a solid product, and spare parts should become readilly available over time, and they seem to be getting great reviews.

So, now my question is, If you were building a new race rig, which brakes would you go with ? and why ?
I Also want to hear from owners of each of the brakes about any problems etc...(not like setup was a *****, as im a mech and can work through it :p ) and also how well they work in different weather conditons (from like really muddy to ultra dry and dusty)

Thanks,
Adam

See less See more
#2 ·
caballero said:
OK,
I have got it down to three brakes, Hope's Mono mini - Avid's Juicy 7 and Hayes El Camino.

I am currently leaning towards the Hope Mono Mini's, but that is based on owning past Minis (03 versions) which were great, and never failed me in all my years of racing and training on them. How do they compare power wise to the older models ? shiuld i go with a 185mm rotor up front to keep power the same ? etc... any tips ?
I Really like the features that the juicy's have but i am a little hesitent to try them out after hearing lots of bad reviews concerning the stuttering etc....
And as for the El Camino's, I know absolutely nothing about them, as being in Australia they arent available and probably wont be for sometime (online mail order :cool: :) )
Being from hayes i am sure they will be a solid product, and spare parts should become readilly available over time, and they seem to be getting great reviews.

So, now my question is, If you were building a new race rig, which brakes would you go with ? and why ?
I Also want to hear from owners of each of the brakes about any problems etc...(not like setup was a *****, as im a mech and can work through it :p ) and also how well they work in different weather conditons (from like really muddy to ultra dry and dusty)

Thanks,
Adam
Great question Adam.....I think Hopes and Magura are the brakes to beat, at least in my book. I am partial to Maguras myself....and dont have enough time on Hopes to compare. Having said that, I love Maguras in every respect. I had XTRs in the past which had very good power and modulation but were just so damn finicky it drove me nuts so I sold em. While I have not had my Martas for even 6 months yet, they have been flawless from day 1 and I could not imagine a better XC brake, though the Hopes too are very appealing. I run the Marta SLs on my 23.5lb XC full-suspension bike and Magura Louise FR on my trailbike.

Cheers

#3 ·
caballero said:
OK,

Thanks,
Adam
I have Magura SL's on my all round mountain bike. I have Juicy 7's on my 24.5 lbs XC ride and love them. The Juicy's has some really great features. Both are very good. Haven't ever used Hayes but hear great things about them. I hear the El Camino's are very good. I have hadn't heard anything on the mini. Either one you take you will be happy.

#4 ·
Order the Juicy 7's and specify that you want round rotors, not the wavy ones. The 7's are a very nice brake. Easy to setup with the CPS mounting so wheel changes are a breeze. Easy to bleed with a dual syringe system and no mess. The reservoir is clear so you can see if you have any air in the system. The levers are a nice shape and I really like the indexed reach adjustment even if it is a little tough to get to. I've experienced great power and modulation with mine with no shuddering or noise. They are probably a little heaqvier than the Hope MM but the function is there.

#6 ·
SSINGA said:
Order the Juicy 7's and specify that you want round rotors, not the wavy ones. The 7's are a very nice brake. Easy to setup with the CPS mounting so wheel changes are a breeze. Easy to bleed with a dual syringe system and no mess. The reservoir is clear so you can see if you have any air in the system. The levers are a nice shape and I really like the indexed reach adjustment even if it is a little tough to get to. I've experienced great power and modulation with mine with no shuddering or noise. They are probably a little heaqvier than the Hope MM but the function is there.
Why round rotors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.