mtbr member
    May 2004

Juicy 7 contact point adjustment problem

One of the big selling points for these brakes is the red knob contact point adjusters.

On my wife's Juicy's, the contact point adjuster on one side is all the way "out" and on the other side, the adjuster is all the way "in", but the side that is "out" still contacts closer to the handlebar than the side adjusted "in". (Hope this is clear.)

In other words, there does not seem to be enough range of adjustment to set the brakes up so the levers engage in the same place, which was supposed to be the point of the adjusters.

I've readjusted the CPS on both brakes a couple of times. My next thought was to get the mounting tabs faced, but my LBS has suggested this would be a waste of money because these brakes have the CPS.

I'm pretty new to these brakes, but I love mine and have not had this issue on my own bike.

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?
    Last edited by riverrat; 03-08-2005 at 02:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to use some spacers to move the caliper away from the hub if I'm understanding your description of the problem correctly. Make sure your adjustment knobs are equidistant before you start spacing though.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you might need to bleed the brakes. Air in the system can cause the lever to feel spongy and the lever will take more movement for the pads to contact the rotor.

The adjustment on my Juicy 7's is pretty noticable.

I would try bleeding the brakes before facing the disc tabs. Its been my experience that facing the tabs helps when you can not center the caliper and the rotor with out some sort of rub. If you can center the caliper and rotor, the tabs may be OK.

Also, make sure the reach adjuster on both levers is set the same. If one lever is closer to the bars when you start, it will most likely be closer to the bar when the pads engaged when compared to the other lever.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

The brake levers are adjusted equally- fairly close to the bars because she has small hands.

The brakes are new and were bled by my LBS when they shortened the lines. They have only been used for one 2-hour ride.

The rear one does feel slightly mushier, but they said this was because the rear line is longer.

I remain kind of perplexed by this...

mtbr member
    I found my rear is maybe slightly mushier than the front but not a huge difference. I would recomend getting a bleed kit and bleeding them yourself.

I'm not saying your LBS didn't do a good job, but you never know.

The Juicy's were my first disc brakes and they are easy to bleed.