Team Ma Ma!
    Jun 2004

Juicy 7 caliper spoke clearance issue...

...I would love to purchase this brake, but I've read some reviews about spoke clearance issues. I'd love to hear some additional comments about how this may have been fixed, and what type of set ups caused the issue.

Thanks all,
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H.I.D. KEVIN
    ...I would love to purchase this brake, but I've read some reviews about spoke clearance issues. I'd love to hear some additional comments about how this may have been fixed, and what type of set ups caused the issue.

Thanks all,
    Kevin
    It was a little too close for me so I switched to an 8" rotor in front which fixed the problem. The new adapter moves the calipers away from the spokes.

mtbr member
    I am running these brakes on WTB laserdisc lite hubs with out problems. The clearance is very tight as mentioned, around 1-2mm, but they have never hit the spokes. It seams like this has been a notable problem with the Avids and Chris King hubs. The solution is to put a small washer between the rotor and the hub on each rotor bolt. This movers the rotor away from the hub and the caliper still has room to be adjusted to align with the rotor.

I have not heard any problems with rear brakes.

For what its worth, the brakes have worked great I/M/O and I would buy them again.

As mentioned the larger rotor should also solve the spacing problem.

No, that's not phonetic
    I run the Juicys (6" rotors) with King Isos, Discotechs, and Hugi 240 discs on a Fox Vanilla and Zoke Z1 SL. Some combos put the caliper very close to the spokes, enough so that one or two spokes may just graze the caliper. I simply "seated" the spoke elbows by pressing them a little flatter against the hub flange and that took care of it. No rub in any combo now.

Fantastic brakes.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I ran a Real front hub and had less than 1mm of clearance. Now with a WTB laser disk lite hub I have about 2mm and no problems.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

CrossmaxSL

I have Juicys and CrossMaxSL's. Pretty close to the spokes on the front, but enough clearance to miss them even under load. As previously noted, just add washers between the rotor and the hub- move the rotor away from the spokes.

Killer brakes, I'd get 'em and try them out first, you may not need any shims/washers.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]