Bear

Juicy 7 alignment...

Just got my new stumpjumper...the front brake rotor is rubbing the pads excessively. I loosened the two tri-align bolts and squeezed the lever a number of times then tightened...didn't stop the rubbing. Any advice for how to tune out the brake rub?

mtbr member

Tough to say

Tough to say--just got mine and installed them today! the front was easy, but the rear gave me some problems like yours. Try looking to see where it's rubbing, mine was rubbing becuase the whole caliper was too far to the wheel side. i shimmed it up and followed the cps procedure and all is well. it still rubbed some but i took it outside for a short spin to try and break them in some and that took care of it. a little time and patience and you should be fine!

my $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Visual align

I know your exact problem. Essentially the squeeze method only seats the caliper so far, but the problem is that the rotor can flex as you squeeze the brakes. Let go and the caliper is still seated off-center.

I first do a alignment by hand with the cps bolts just slightly loose. I visually look down into the caliper and do the gross alignment by hand. Then once it's close, I squeeze the lever to lock in the alignment and tighten the bolts. Sometimes it takes a couple tries, peering through the caliper from the front and top to see which side the caliper is bias'd to.

The other thing to check is to see if your pistons are retracting and that both pistons are working together. Sometimes a stuck piston will stay retracted and therefore rub.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]