Trying a little

Juicy 5's vs Hayes Mags for DH?

Juicy 5's vs Hayes Mags for DH? I'm 210lbs, racing in expert.
    Which would you choose? Anything better is going to be outside my budget.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

...idios...
    You could pick up a lightly used set of '07 Hope M4s for the same price as a new Juicy set.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have both and am really liking the Juicy 5s. They seem to have more power, with decent modulation.

I have seen some very good deals on Juicy 5s (well under $200/pr) and if you look there are good deals on Code 5s too, even better.

There's no app for this.

2nd that

the Hopes modulate well; my Juicy 5s are grabby, and a bit too easy to lock a wheel up by accident, subtle they aren't. ON/off feeling. Even a used set of Louises or Gustavs would be better, IMHO. The Gustavs were by far the best set of DH brakes I've used, with Hope M4s a very close second.

Jim

mtbr member
    J5's have surprised me... they have only faded one on the local DH. But I was really trying to get them to lose it. The did recover very quick. They retain their power very well under most conditions.

The Mag's have been some of my fav brakes on the market. They are relatively easy to maintain. They are also great for finding parts for, most shops will have what you are looking for if you need to replace, fix or upgrade. Lastly... they have been very trusty.... only slightly fading once on the steepest of the steeps in Squamish, BC. They recovered instantly after pumping the brakes twice.
    Bikeless Rider