Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Juicy 5's: How Tight?

610 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chuckie33 
#1 ·
How tight should my brakes be? I am sure I am using the wrong terminology but by tight, I mean how much power should they have? For example, my back tire will lock up when I get hard on the brakes, but the front will not lock up at all unless I am not on the bike but just walking it. Seems like I read somewhere that the front should be used 70% of the time, correct? I use my brakes equally but I feel that I have more control and stopping power with my back brake. It seems that they were tighter in the fall and just don't feel as tight this spring. Maybe because I didn't use them for 2-3 months? Should I try bleeding them? I am a newb when it comes to maintenance. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Would you describe the front brake lever as "mushy" or "soft"? Then a bleed is needed. A bleed would not hurt the system and should be considered even if you're not having problems. Also lack of power could be contributed to contaminated pads. I've had good luck soaking the pads in isopropyl alcohol and lighting them on fire, which burns off all the bad stuff.

About the 70% f/r thing. You get 70% of you power from the front just because of physics and magic. I guess there are some people who 70% of the time but more often then not I'm only on my front before a turn obstacle or on the steeps.. 80% of the time I'd rather scrub speed off using my rear.

#4 ·
Yea, I definitely like the fact that they don't lock up, but it just seems like they use to have more power. I will really pay attention to the feel next ride, but that may be a while since we have been getting dumped on for a week straight with more in the forecast this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.